Elasticsearch + logstash space requirements

Hi,

I am planning to use elasticsearch + logstash with my couchdb on same server. I just wanted to check if installing elasticsearch + logstash on same server should be fine or not? Our web application is expected to have around 60/70 thousand records. What would be a recommended amount of storage that should be allocated for elastics search in my case considering the amount of data and same sever senerio ?

Many thanks,
Imad.

I just wanted to check if installing elasticsearch + logstash on same server should be fine or not?

That should be fine in most cases. Obviously, with high load they're going to compete for CPU and RAM which might not be ideal.

Our web application is expected to have around 60/70 thousand records. What would be a recommended amount of storage that should be allocated for elastics search in my considering the amount of data and same sever senerio ?

That depends on the size of each document and how you're going to map its fields.

We don't recommend running ES on the same host as something like Cassandra due to potential resource contention issues.

@warkolm, is it due to java, since that is memory intensive or it is due to something else. Are there any configuration options to limit memory usage by ES and fine tune performance.

Just wondering if lucene can be the alternate option if its low on memory consumption (but that also uses java).

It's a bit of both, Cassandra and ES are both resource heavy so you'll run into CPU/IO/memory contention at some point, and no amount of tuning will really help.