Elasticsearch memory-bound tasks

Hi. I am reading a book about elastic stack 6.

This sentence was in the book and i don't understand it.

"Elasticsearch primarily has memory-bound tasks which rely on the inverted index. The
more data that it can fit in the RAM, the faster the performance will be. But this statement
can not always be generalized. It depends on the nature of your data and the type of
operations or workload that you are going to have."

can you help me, please?

There are various resources needed for a computation, such as CPU, RAM, and maybe disk IO or network bandwidth. Typically for a given computation just one of these resources is a limiting factor, and the computation is said to be "bound" by that resource. For instance a CPU-bound task can be made faster by using a faster CPU, and an IO-bound task can be made faster using more/faster disks, but an IO-bound task will run at the same speed no matter how much faster you make the CPU. Here the author defines what they mean by "memory-bound" in the second sentence:

The more data that it can fit in the RAM, the faster the performance will be.

(I'm not saying that this statement is true, by the way, I'm just clarifying what it means)

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.