ElasticSearch migration from Version 0.19.7 to AWS ES 1.5

I am trying to migrate data from ElasticSearch installed in our datacenter to ElasticSearch cluster in AWS.

Source: ElasticSearch Cluster in current Datacenter:

• Version: 0.19.7
  • Number of Records: 100k
  • Number of Nodes: 2

Destination: AWS ElasticSearch

• Version: 1.5

I would like to migrate the data in our datacenter to the AWS cluster.
The API to create snapshot is not available in 0.19.7 version and also reindex API is also not available.

Can someone please suggest me a strategy to migrate the data from the current cluster to the AWS cluster.

Current Version Details:

curl -X GET "localhost:9200"
{
"ok" : true,
"status" : 200,
"name" : "Nebulo",
"version" : {
"number" : "0.19.7",
"snapshot_build" : false
},
"tagline" : "You Know, for Search"
}

The only good way to migrate off such an old version is to write some kind of script that scan/scrolls across the data and manually re-indexes it into a new cluster. This can be done pretty easily in a scripting language like Python, PHP, etc.

I wouldn't try to do an upgrade in place with such an old version.

While you're upgrading, I'd recommend moving to a much more modern version. Even 1.5 is very old at this point.

Thank you for the suggestion.
The application indexing ES data uses TTL feature extensively.
To prevent a complete refactor of the application, we decided to stick with 1.5, since newer versions of Elasticsearch don't support TTL.

Ah, ok. :slight_smile:

FWIW, the TTL feature is basically doing a Delete-by-Query every 60 seconds, so you could upgrade to a more modern version and implement the TTL with Delete-by-Query fairly easily. A little more work than the built-in TTL, but you'd get all the benefits of being on a newer version (including easier upgrades in the future).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.