Elasticsearch Rust Client: Update 02 Jun 2017

Hi everyone!

I've just pushed out a new release for the Rust client I work on that comes with a bunch of ergonomic improvements when making requests.

See

What's it about?

Rust is a native language without a garbage collector, that's targeting the same spaces as C/C++ but comes with a lot of nice modern features.

The goal of this Rust client is to offer a nice, high-level API like you'd expect from any language but also give you full control when you need it so you can talk to Elasticsearch in any way you need.

Changes

• Added some initial builder methods for common client endpoints that are easier to use and easier to read. Builders for the Query DSL itself is still a non-goal at this stage though.
// A simple query string to search on
let query = "match me";

// The Query DSL body, just plain old json that interpolates locals
let body = json!({
    "query": {
        "query_string": {
            "query": query
        }
    }
});

// Do the search request on all indices
let res = client.search::<Value>()
                .index("_all")
                .body(body.to_string())
                .send()?;

// Iterate through the returned hits
for hit in res.hits() {
    println!("{:?}", hit);
}
  • Lots of documentation and some more examples. The client design should hopefully be much clearer now
  • Got the groundwork in place for a proper async client
  • Lots of API cleanup, bug fixes
  • Some dedicated infrastructure around _bulk responses, because they're proportional in size to the number of items in the request and there's potentially a lot of duplicated data. So you can configure the allocating types to avoid a few new Strings for each bulk item, or only keep bulk items that failed

Up next

• There's plenty of the document API that needs implementing; range types, date math etc
  • Start thinking about connection pooling

If anyone has any feedback I'd love to hear it :slight_smile:

1 Like