Elasticsearch service fails immediately after start

Hi folks,

The title describes the essense of my problem pretty much. I'm running ES 5.5.2 on a VM with Ubuntu 16.04 (it's VirtualBox 5.2.6).

All files in the /var/log/elasticsearch directory are empty.

journalctl -u elasticsearch shows pairs of lines like

Jan 24 15:13:57 ivan-VirtualBox systemd[1]: Starting Elasticsearch...
Jan 24 15:13:57 ivan-VirtualBox systemd[1]: Started Elasticsearch.

which I guess correspond to my attempts to run the service.

sudo service elasticsearch status shows

● elasticsearch.service - Elasticsearch
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/elasticsearch.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead) since Mi 2018-01-24 15:13:59 CET; 23min ago
     Docs: http://www.elastic.co
  Process: 7236 ExecStart=/usr/share/elasticsearch/bin/elasticsearch -p ${PID_DIR}/elasticsearch.pid --quiet -Edefault.path.logs=${LOG_DIR} -Edefault.path.data=${DATA_DIR} -Edefault.path.conf=${CONF_DIR} (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 7227 ExecStartPre=/usr/share/elasticsearch/bin/elasticsearch-systemd-pre-exec (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 7236 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Jan 24 15:13:57 ivan-VirtualBox systemd[1]: Starting Elasticsearch...
Jan 24 15:13:57 ivan-VirtualBox systemd[1]: Started Elasticsearch.

I'm using java 8 by Oracle. I tried also to purge it and install OpenJDK, but got exactly same behavior.

I also set chown -R elasticsearch:elasticsearch for directories /var/log/elasticsearch, /var/lib/elasticsearch, /var/run/elasticsearch, /etc/elasticsearch.

@lauea, sorry, not sure to understand how I can use the image to solve my ES issue.

@ivan_p Sorry, I replied wrong topic.

If more log information of es you can provided. Only service elasticsearch status is extremely lack.

@lauea, I wish I could provide more info, but as I wrote, all ES log files are empty :frowning:

@ivan_p
here to clarify:

1. How to start the es by you? What's the command?
  2. After you started a while, you can try to run below command to check response:
curl localhost:9200

I was starting it by sudo service elasticsearch start.
Also, I checked whether any process was listening the 9200 port. Nothing was there.

However, I actually managed to find a workaround for this problem. I upgraded ES from 5.5.2 to 5.6.6, and it started working just fine. Still no clue what the original issue was.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.