Elasticsearch service stops, site not available; fresh install on Ubuntu 18.04

Hello all;

New to Elasticstack, and already running into troubles :frowning:

I have a fresh Ubuntu 18.04 VM just created a few days ago. Basic install, have only added SSH and Webmin functionality.

Yesterday, started installing Elasticstack, starting with Elasticsearch as per Configuring Elasticsearch | Elasticsearch Guide [8.11] | Elastic (installed via repository).

Once I got to the part of using cURL to test that all was running, I get

$ curl -X GET "localhost:9200/
curl: (7) Failed to connect to localhost port 9200: Connection refused

So far in troubleshooting I have checked:

• Also tried 127.0.0.1, and also the local static-assigned IP
  • Firewall is disabled
  • I saw some hints online that (the user posting was on Ubuntu 16.04) it might help to update /etc/elasticsearch/elasticsearch.yml and put a specific IP on the network.host setting. I tried setting to localhost, loopback, and static IP. Testing the cURL on each one returned the same error.
  • If I restart the service and immediately show status on the service, it will show green/started. However, showing status again after that will come back as failed:

$ service elasticsearch status
● elasticsearch.service - Elasticsearch
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/elasticsearch.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2018-06-21 16:09:35 CDT; 39s ago
Docs: http://www.elastic.co
Process: 9809 ExecStart=/usr/share/elasticsearch/bin/elasticsearch -p ${PID_DIR}/elasticsearch.pid --quiet (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 9809 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jun 21 16:09:35 DBSRVLOG01 elasticsearch[9809]: at org.yaml.snakeyaml.scanner.ScannerImpl.stalePossibleSimpleKeys(ScannerImpl.java:465)
Jun 21 16:09:35 DBSRVLOG01 elasticsearch[9809]: at org.yaml.snakeyaml.scanner.ScannerImpl.needMoreTokens(ScannerImpl.java:280)
Jun 21 16:09:35 DBSRVLOG01 elasticsearch[9809]: at org.yaml.snakeyaml.scanner.ScannerImpl.checkToken(ScannerImpl.java:225)
Jun 21 16:09:35 DBSRVLOG01 elasticsearch[9809]: at org.yaml.snakeyaml.parser.ParserImpl$ParseBlockMappingKey.produce(ParserImpl.java:557)
Jun 21 16:09:35 DBSRVLOG01 elasticsearch[9809]: at org.yaml.snakeyaml.parser.ParserImpl.peekEvent(ParserImpl.java:157)
Jun 21 16:09:35 DBSRVLOG01 elasticsearch[9809]: at org.yaml.snakeyaml.parser.ParserImpl.getEvent(ParserImpl.java:167)
Jun 21 16:09:35 DBSRVLOG01 elasticsearch[9809]: at com.fasterxml.jackson.dataformat.yaml.YAMLParser.nextToken(YAMLParser.java:340)
Jun 21 16:09:35 DBSRVLOG01 elasticsearch[9809]: ... 13 more
Jun 21 16:09:35 DBSRVLOG01 systemd[1]: elasticsearch.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jun 21 16:09:35 DBSRVLOG01 systemd[1]: elasticsearch.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

• I saw in elasticsearch.yml that logs should be saved to /etc/log/elasticsearch , but when I try to change to that directory, I get access denied. Looking at permissions for subfolders inside of the /etc/log folder:

drwxr-x--- 2 elasticsearch elasticsearch 4096 Jun 21 16:09 elasticsearch

• Installed package of Elasticsearch is 6.3

We're excited to try out Elasticstack as a possible replacement for our current solution, so any help would be appreciated!

Did you install Java 8? How did you install Elasticsearch? Would it be possible for you to post your elasticsearch.yml file please?

What's in /var/log/elasticsearch/elasticsearch.log?

@tdasch

Java was installed with

apt install default-jre

Checking the installed package, I get

$ java -version
openjdk version "10.0.1" 2018-04-17
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 10.0.1+10-Ubuntu-3ubuntu1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 10.0.1+10-Ubuntu-3ubuntu1, mixed mode)

As for installation, I followed Install Elasticsearch with Debian Package | Elasticsearch Guide [8.11] | Elastic

In essence, downloaded key, installed the HTTP-transport repo, updated the .list file, then installed the package.

elasticsearch.yml:

# ======================== Elasticsearch Configuration =========================
#
# NOTE: Elasticsearch comes with reasonable defaults for most settings.
#       Before you set out to tweak and tune the configuration, make sure you
#       understand what are you trying to accomplish and the consequences.
#
# The primary way of configuring a node is via this file. This template lists
# the most important settings you may want to configure for a production cluster.
#
# Please consult the documentation for further information on configuration options:
# https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/index.html
#
# ---------------------------------- Cluster -----------------------------------
#
# Use a descriptive name for your cluster:
#
#cluster.name: my-application
#
# ------------------------------------ Node ------------------------------------
#
# Use a descriptive name for the node:
#
#node.name: node-1
#
# Add custom attributes to the node:
#
#node.attr.rack: r1
#
# ----------------------------------- Paths ------------------------------------
#
# Path to directory where to store the data (separate multiple locations by comma):
#
path.data: /var/lib/elasticsearch
#
# Path to log files:
#
path.logs: /var/log/elasticsearch
#
# ----------------------------------- Memory -----------------------------------
#
# Lock the memory on startup:
#
#bootstrap.memory_lock: true
#
# Make sure that the heap size is set to about half the memory available
# on the system and that the owner of the process is allowed to use this
# limit.
#
# Elasticsearch performs poorly when the system is swapping the memory.
#
# ---------------------------------- Network -----------------------------------
#
# Set the bind address to a specific IP (IPv4 or IPv6):
#
network.host: <statically-assigned local IP>
#
# Set a custom port for HTTP:
#
http.port: 9200
#
# For more information, consult the network module documentation.
#
# --------------------------------- Discovery ----------------------------------
#
# Pass an initial list of hosts to perform discovery when new node is started:
# The default list of hosts is ["127.0.0.1", "[::1]"]
#
#discovery.zen.ping.unicast.hosts: ["host1", "host2"]
#
# Prevent the "split brain" by configuring the majority of nodes (total number of master-eligible nodes / 2 + 1):
#
#
#discovery.zen.minimum_master_nodes:
#
# For more information, consult the zen discovery module documentation.
#
# ---------------------------------- Gateway -----------------------------------
#
# Block initial recovery after a full cluster restart until N nodes are started:
#
#gateway.recover_after_nodes: 3
#
# For more information, consult the gateway module documentation.
#
# ---------------------------------- Various -----------------------------------
#
# Require explicit names when deleting indices:
#
#action.destructive_requires_name: true
#
# Allow automatic creating of required indexes
#
action.auto_create_index: *

sudo nano /var/log/elasticsearch/elasticsearch.log

Gives me a blank file.

It's a good idea to use less or more on log files rather than opening them in an editor :slight_smile:

True - do that most of time. I just try a few different ways when having issues to check for matching results. In this case, same results.

Just doing less /var/log/elasticsearch/elasticsearch.log gives permissions denied. Running it sudo still says no such file or directory.

1 Like

What is present in /var/log/elasticsearch ?

Also, doesn't action.auto_create_index: need a + or - to go with the * ? I was looking at this doc to reference.

I can't get into /var/log/elasticserch . If I try going into to the file itself as sudo (/var/log/elasticsearch/elasticsearch.log) , it has not been created.

That all makes me think it's a permissions thing. I posted earlier the permissions I'm seeing on the /var/log/elasticsearch folder, but I'm not aware if that is correct or should be something different?

Thanks for the reference on the action.auto_create_index: piece. I just added the * based on what I saw at the initial installation page to allow Elasticsearch to do what it needs automatically, but it wasn't 100% clear if only the * was needed, or there should be something else there. For giving it 100% full autonomy, should I just remove that variable from the .yml?

The action.auto_create_index: piece was it. Looks like having that mis-configured was preventing it from starting up correctly (and not even writing the log)

I just removed that entry from my config file, restarted the service, and did service elasticsearch status checks for 30 seconds or so. Stayed green/running on all of them this time instead of stopping after a few seconds.

Did a test of curl -X GET "10.49.65.27:9200/" and received the correct response of

{
"name" : "4C-WLn3",
"cluster_name" : "elasticsearch",
"cluster_uuid" : "QESOlcaeSVeqevcZFefOWg",
"version" : {
"number" : "6.3.0",
"build_flavor" : "default",
"build_type" : "deb",
"build_hash" : "424e937",
"build_date" : "2018-06-11T23:38:03.357887Z",
"build_snapshot" : false,
"lucene_version" : "7.3.1",
"minimum_wire_compatibility_version" : "5.6.0",
"minimum_index_compatibility_version" : "5.0.0"
},
"tagline" : "You Know, for Search"
}

/var/log/elasticsearch/elasticsearch.log is now being created as well.

Thank you for a 2nd set of eyes and getting me down the right path!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.