Elasticsearch snapshot backups in azure repository unknown host exception

Trying to create backup repository for snapshots in Elasticsearch 6.5.2. But I am getting Internal server error(500) when executing the curl below. The error message is {"type":"unknown_host_exception","reason":"{{storage-account-name}}.blob.core.windows.net"} I checked multiple times and this storage account exists in azure, as well as the container and the key matches. The storage account lives inside a different resource group than the resource group of the elasticsearch cluster. However, I do not think this is the issue.

curl -X PUT http://{{address}}/_snapshot/{{repo-name}} \
        -H 'Content-Type: application/json;charset=UTF-8' -v \
        -d '{
        "type": "azure",
            "settings": {
                "container": "{{container-name}}",
                "chunk_size": "32m",
                "compress": true
            }
        }'

My elasticsearch.yml has the following configuration:

cloud.azure.storage.timeout: 10s
azure.client.default.max_retries: 7
azure.client.default.endpoint_suffix: {{azure-cloud}}

cloud:
    azure:
        storage:
            {{container-name}}:
                account: {{storage-account-name}}
                key:{{storage-account-key}}

Hi @Yanislav_Shetrev

I'm assuming you added the {{storage-account-name}} placeholder here? Could you try just pinging the actual host of the blob store from an ES cluster node to verify that this isn't a system issue?

HI @Armin_Braun,

I am actually using the China Cloud as endpoint suffix:
azure.client.default.endpoint_suffix: core.chinacloudapi.cn
Trying to ping {account-name}.blob.core.chinacloudapi.cn timeouts. Which, based on your point, is maybe a system issue.

I am also using Elasticsearch 6.5.2, which I believe does not support backups and restore because when I looked into the logs I saw the error message:

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: missing required setting [azure.client.default.account] for setting [azure.client.default.endpoint_suffix]
And when I tried to add this account name and key to the elasticsearch keystore, it could not find the command : bin/elasticsearch-keystore add {{account-name}} there was no binary named like that in the bin directory.

I am planning to upgrade to 7.5.1 and give it a try again.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.