Elasticsearch transport client spawning a large number of threads

From an Apache storm bolt, I am using Elasticsearch's transport client to remotely connect to an ES cluster. When I take a jstack output of the storm process, I notice that there are nearly 1000 threads with an ES stack trace like:

elasticsearch[Flying Tiger][transport_client_worker][T#22]{New I/O worker #269}" daemon prio=10 tid=0x00007f80ac3cb000 nid=0x356b runnable [0x00007f7e96b2a000] java.lang.Thread.State: RUNNABLE at sun.nio.ch.EPollArrayWrapper.epollWait(Native Method) at sun.nio.ch.EPollArrayWrapper.poll(EPollArrayWrapper.java:269) at sun.nio.ch.EPollSelectorImpl.doSelect(EPollSelectorImpl.java:79) at sun.nio.ch.SelectorImpl.lockAndDoSelect(SelectorImpl.java:87) - locked <0x00000000d148d138> (a sun.nio.ch.Util$2) - locked <0x00000000d148d128> (a java.util.Collections$UnmodifiableSet) - locked <0x00000000d148c9b8> (a sun.nio.ch.EPollSelectorImpl) at sun.nio.ch.SelectorImpl.select(SelectorImpl.java:98) at org.elasticsearch.common.netty.channel.socket.nio.SelectorUtil.select(SelectorUtil.java:68) at org.elasticsearch.common.netty.channel.socket.nio.AbstractNioSelector.select(AbstractNioSelector.java:415) at org.elasticsearch.common.netty.channel.socket.nio.AbstractNioSelector.run(AbstractNioSelector.java:212) at org.elasticsearch.common.netty.channel.socket.nio.AbstractNioWorker.run(AbstractNioWorker.java:89) at org.elasticsearch.common.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioWorker.run(NioWorker.java:178) at org.elasticsearch.common.netty.util.ThreadRenamingRunnable.run(ThreadRenamingRunnable.java:108) at org.elasticsearch.common.netty.util.internal.DeadLockProofWorker$1.run(DeadLockProofWorker.java:42) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

I am using a single instance of the ES transport client across my storm topology, which has about 18 output streams invoking the ES client to write data to the ES cluster.

Why does the ES transport client spawn so many threads ? Is there any way I can tune this ? I tried looking up ES documentation but it does not provide any internal details on the threading mechanism of the transport client nor does it give an option to tune the number of threads of the client.