ElasticSearch upsert document with complex script

I create an index to store the duration of how long people watching a certain video, the index structure like this:

{
    "first_watch_time": "2019-04-01T02:17:14.004Z",
    "last_watch_time": "2019-04-01T02:18:24.004Z",
    "duration": 70
}

when I create document I use the user_id as the document _id. For example when Bob(user_id is 1) first watch the video, trigger an event, there is no document in the index, and so I create one for him:

PUT video_duration/video_duration/1
{
    "first_watch_time": event_time,
    "duration": 0
}

the field "first_watch_time" is when the event occurred. After a while when Bob click the pause button, trigger a new event, now I want to use the upsert syntax to update the duration:

POST video_duration/video_duration/1/_update
{
  "script": {
    "source": "ctx._source.duration += params.duration; ctx._source.last_watch_time = event_time",
    "lang": "painless",
    "params": {
      "duration": "duration(event_time - ctx._source['first_watch_time'])"
    }
  },
  "upsert": {
    "duration": 0,
    "first_watch_time": event_time
  }
}

now the question is I dont know how to write the params, and I find the value of the key in params seems to be a specific value number or string, and also I dont know how to subtract the two timestamp in script. Is this possible to use upsert to calculate the duration, or I have to first query the document, and the calculate the duration in memory and then use one more request to update it?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.