Elasticsearch won't accept logs using standard syslog date format

On the logstash forum, they said that my question had more to do with elasticsearch, so here I am.
So far I've added hosts to my logstash input that have used ISO8601 time format in their syslog config. Those have imported ok and the date/time is interpreted into the timestamp field. I have the following stanza in my logstash.conf:

date {
     locale => "en"
     match => [ "timestamp", "MMM  d HH:mm:ss", "MMM dd HH:mm:ss", "ISO8601" ]
   }

I then tried to add a host that has the default syslog date format of MMM dd HH:mm:ss and Elasticsearch is choking on it's date for some reason with the following error:

[2019-05-06T06:31:23,884][WARN ][logstash.outputs.elasticsearch] Could not index event to Elasticsearch. {:status=>400, :action=>["index", {:_id=>nil, :_index=>"logstash-2019.05.06", :_type=>"syslog", :_routing=>nil}, 2019-05-06T10:31:18.000Z {name=ludwig, id=081a9a13d60d41deb4c6e2229bdc197a, os={name=Ubuntu, family=debian, version=18.10 (Cosmic Cuttlefish), platform=ubuntu, codename=cosmic}, containerized=false, architecture=x86_64} May 6 06:31:18 ludwig nm-dispatcher: req:1 'dhcp4-change' [enp3s0]: start running ordered scripts...], :response=>{"index"=>{"_index"=>"logstash-2019.05.06", "_type"=>"syslog", "_id"=>"AWqMsrflWmfBzhmpAUtm", "status"=>400, "error"=>{"type"=>"mapper_parsing_exception", "reason"=>"failed to parse [timestamp]", "caused_by"=>{"type"=>"illegal_argument_exception", "reason"=>"Invalid format: "May 6 06:31:18""}}}}}

I see that the error is invalid format for the date, but I don't understand how it doesn't match.

bump I'm new to ES so I assume this isn't a complex issue. And for the most part I'm just using info from tutorials. Thanks.

Read this and specifically the "Also be patient" part.

It's fine to answer on your own thread after 2 or 3 days (not including weekends) if you don't have an answer.

What does a typical document Logstash is sending to elasticsearch? Could you provide one?
What is the elasticsearch mapping?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.