Elasticsearch wont start after upgrade to 8.4 - repository-gcs issue

Hi,

As I updated to 8.4 today one of my nodes (I have a 2-node cluster) now fails to start with the below stacktrace:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unknown properties for plugin [repository-gcs] in plugin descriptor: [type]
	at org.elasticsearch.plugins.PluginDescriptor.readFromProperties(PluginDescriptor.java:218)
	at org.elasticsearch.plugins.PluginsUtils.readPluginBundle(PluginsUtils.java:162)
	at org.elasticsearch.plugins.PluginsUtils.findBundles(PluginsUtils.java:143)
	at org.elasticsearch.plugins.PluginsUtils.getPluginBundles(PluginsUtils.java:125)
	at org.elasticsearch.plugins.PluginsUtils.getDependencyMapView(PluginsUtils.java:135)
	at org.elasticsearch.plugins.cli.RemovePluginAction.ensurePluginsNotUsedByOtherPlugins(RemovePluginAction.java:95)
	at org.elasticsearch.plugins.cli.RemovePluginAction.execute(RemovePluginAction.java:77)
	at org.elasticsearch.plugins.cli.RemovePluginCommand.execute(RemovePluginCommand.java:43)
	at org.elasticsearch.common.cli.EnvironmentAwareCommand.execute(EnvironmentAwareCommand.java:54)
	at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.mainWithoutErrorHandling(Command.java:85)
	at org.elasticsearch.cli.MultiCommand.execute(MultiCommand.java:94)
	at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.mainWithoutErrorHandling(Command.java:85)
	at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.main(Command.java:50)
	at org.elasticsearch.launcher.CliToolLauncher.main(CliToolLauncher.java:64)

I was expecting this kind of issue going to 8 but not going from 8.3 to 8.4?! So first, yes I know - repository-gcs is no longer a plugin (so no need to install after every upgrade, yay!) but now something went wrong preventing elasticsearch (or plugin removal script for that matter, fails with same error).

I've searched through /etc/elasticsearch and it contains no reference to repository-gcs, neither does /var/lib/elasticsearch`. I'm on centos stream release

Any ideas for reviving my cluster?

Resolution was simple in the end...

I manually removed repository-gcs from /usr/share/elasticsearch/plugins

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.