ELK as AppD replacement?

I know I'm comparing apples to oranges. We're an AppD / Splunk house and I'm looking into the feasibility of replacing them with ELK.

We can reproduce almost all the functionality we need from the two, except for AppD's ability to "drill down" into error or slow-call conditions. I know this is coz AppD deployments involve inserting an agent into the target JVM.

is there a logstash plugin that can offer the same functionality ? I realise the answer's probably no, but you gotta have hope, right ?

I can pull in the high level JVM stats with the JMX plugin, I'm not a java dev, could we get similar info by hitting a particular mbean ?

FYI we’ve renamed ELK to the Elastic Stack, otherwise Beats and APM feel left out! :wink:

We are working on releasing APM capabilities soon which may cover some of that. There is also the JMX input as you point out, though I haven't use it so I can't comment on how good it is/isn't.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.