ELK vs grafana+influxDB

There are a few factors on why I think going with InfluxDB for metrics is better than using ELK (for now, might change with Elasticsearch 2.0, and that the CERN paper made me have doubts as well)

1. The whole ecosystem around Graphite metrics is huge, you can pick from loads of tools to gather the metrics, loads of tools to aggregate the metrics, loads of tools to store the metrics, loads of tools to view the metrics and loads of tools to monitor the metrics.
  2. Of all those options InfluxDB solves the aggregation and storage in a very easy to use and easy to manage package. Most other options require more work to get working and to mantain.
  3. Grafana is in my opinion by far the best metric visualization tool available, works on Graphtie, InfluxDB and OpenTSDB. There is an open ticket on the Grafana project about adding Elasticsearch support as well but I doubt they will start work on that untill Elasticsearch 2.0 is released.
  4. By using the Graphite format you can replace nearly every piece with a different solution so its very future proof. Metrics 2.0 (basically context support with tags) will be a game changer for everyone but its too early to worry about that now, only a handful of solutions support it.
  5. Storing metrics in InfluxDB takes a lot less space than in Elasticsearch. Think about how the Graphite format works, you have a namespace of "sitename.hostname.appname.subname.metricname", a value and a timestamp. In metrics databases that namespace is stored once and the value and timestamp for each data point. In Elasticsearch you would have to store it all for each data point + you would have to analyze the namspace field so you can query it.

In the end, do a test. Pick a metric, send it to both ELK and InfluxDB for a week. Evaluate the disk space usage of both. Test viewing the metrics in Kibana for ELK and Grafana for InfluxDB. This will give you a solid feel for all angles.

1 Like