Ensuring results from multiple indexes

(Richard Livsey-2) #1

I have a number of indexes and want to search across all of them but ensure I get results from all the indexes. Is this possible?

So say I have two indexes, "clients" and "colleagues" and I do a search across both of them, is there a way of specifying that I want to get a maximum of 5 results from each index, resulting in a total of up to 10 results returned?

Basically I'm building a spotlight alike quick search box which matches as the user types.
Currently it's a bit weird because if I ask for a maximum of 10 results, all of them could come from the same type when instead I want to display at least one match (if there is one) for each type.

I can get round this by searching each type individually, but obviously it would be a lot faster to be able to do it in one query.

Cheers.

(Shay Banon) #2

Heya,

No, there isn't an option to specify that, so you will need to execute the search several times. It can be enabled as a feature for search, but, I think a proper way to solve it is to have bulk search support which will allow for other usecases.

-shay.banon
On Friday, April 8, 2011 at 4:12 PM, Richard Livsey wrote:

I have a number of indexes and want to search across all of them but ensure I get results from all the indexes. Is this possible?

So say I have two indexes, "clients" and "colleagues" and I do a search across both of them, is there a way of specifying that I want to get a maximum of 5 results from each index, resulting in a total of up to 10 results returned?

Basically I'm building a spotlight alike quick search box which matches as the user types.
Currently it's a bit weird because if I ask for a maximum of 10 results, all of them could come from the same type when instead I want to display at least one match (if there is one) for each type.

I can get round this by searching each type individually, but obviously it would be a lot faster to be able to do it in one query.

Cheers.

(Richard Livsey-2) #3

No problem, I've got it working by issuing separate queries and combining the results and it's pretty quick for now.

Cheers.

On Friday, 8 April 2011 at 19:25, Shay Banon wrote:

Heya,

No, there isn't an option to specify that, so you will need to execute the search several times. It can be enabled as a feature for search, but, I think a proper way to solve it is to have bulk search support which will allow for other usecases.

-shay.banon
On Friday, April 8, 2011 at 4:12 PM, Richard Livsey wrote:

Cheers.

(system) #4