Error installing ElasticSearch instance using systemd `scan' for :absent:Symbol

Hi this is our initial deployment creating an elastic search instance and installing via Puppet we are seeing this error.

2019-01-1415:26 -06:00 err Could not evaluate: undefined method `scan' for :absent:Symbol
Source: /Stage[main]/xxxx_elastic_stack::Search/Elasticsearch::Instance[es-01]/Elasticsearch::Service[es-01]/Elasticsearch::Service::Systemd[es-01]/Elasticsearch_service_file[/lib/systemd/system/elasticsearch-es-01.service]
File:/etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/sandbox/modules/elasticsearch/manifests/service/systemd.pp
Line: 163

2019-01-1415:26 -06:00 warning Skipping because of failed dependencies
Source: /Stage[main]/xxxx_elastic_stack::Search/Elasticsearch::Instance[es-01]/Elasticsearch::Service[es-01]/Elasticsearch::Service::Systemd[es-01]/File[/lib/systemd/system/elasticsearch-es-01.service]
File:/etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/sandbox/modules/elasticsearch/manifests/service/systemd.pp
Line: 178

Current versions:
Puppet Forge Elastic Search - Tagged Version 6.3.3
Puppet Version - 5.3.3
OS - RedHat 7.6
Elastic Search RMP Package - 6.5.4
puppet-elastic-stack.git - 6.2.4
puppet-datacat.git - tag 0.6.2

Code:

class xxxx_elastic_stack::search (
  String  $version                    = '6.5.4',
  String  $instance_name              = 'es-instance1',
  String  $cluster_name               = 'elastic-git',
  String  $network_host               = '127.0.0.1',
  Array[String] $jvm_heap_memory      = ['-xms8g','-Xmx8g'],
  Enum['absent', 'present']  $ensure  = 'present',
  String $pkg_version                 = '6.5.4',
  String $local_pkg_loc               = "/home/packages/elastic_stack/${pkg_version}",
  String $pkg_prefix                  = 'elasticsearch',
  String $download_tool_insecure      = 'curl --insecure --output',
  Boolean $download_tool_verify_certificates = false,
  ) {
    $rpm_pkg_name = "${pkg_prefix}-${pkg_version}.rpm"

class { 'elasticsearch':
      ensure                            => $ensure,
      package_dir                       => $local_pkg_loc,
      package_name                      => $rpm_pkg_name,
      package_url                       => "https://xxxx.xxxxint.net/xxxx/xxxx-repo/elastic-stack/${pkg_version}/${rpm_pkg_name}",
      download_tool_insecure            => $download_tool_insecure,
      download_tool_verify_certificates => $download_tool_verify_certificates,
    }-> elasticsearch::instance { $instance_name :
      #ensure      => $ensure,
      #jvm_options => $jvm_heap_memory,
      #config      => {
        #'cluster.name' => $cluster_name,
        #'network.host' => $network_host,
      }
    }

I found out a bit more information. This appears to be an issue with major and minor versioning. I ran a puppet apply in trace mode and got this stack trace.

Could not evaluate: undefined method `scan' for :absent:Symbol /opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/util/package.rb:4:in `versioncmp'
 /opt/puppetlabs/puppet/cache/lib/puppet_x/elastic/es_versioning.rb:46:in `min_version'
 /opt/puppetlabs/puppet/cache/lib/puppet_x/elastic/es_versioning.rb:20:in `opt_flags' 
 /opt/puppetlabs/puppet/cache/lib/puppet/provider/elasticsearch_service_file/ruby.rb:66:in `flush' 
 /opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/type.rb:1006:in `flush'

@styriver when the catalog ran (and when you actually instantiate your elastic_stack::search class, is the Elasticsearch package actually being installed/set to present? It looks like the version logic in the code is trying to compare versions with :absent at some point.

Hi

Thank you for the response. I figured it out this morning. When I am building this string I am appending the .rpm
$rpm_pkg_name = "${pkg_prefix}-${pkg_version}.rpm"

This was causing the versions to not be inferred correctly. The code is using regex to get the package versions. Once I removed the .rpm from that string and just addedthe .rpm to the end of the package url it worked.

Thanks for your time on this issue.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.