Error: Object field starting or ending with [.]

Our service is logging via fluentd to elasticsearch and I've been starting recently to fix all errors seen in the Fluentd-Logs (so I'm not quite sure if I should ask here or the fluentd-team).

I'm nearly done, but I have no idea how to find and fix this one or what it acutally means:

"error"=>{"type"=>"mapper_parsing_exception", "reason"=>"failed to parse", "caused_by"=>{"type"=>"illegal_argument_exception", "reason"=>"object field starting or ending with a [.] makes object resolution ambiguous: [\v]"}}

I've looked through all used object fields but no one is having a "." in it.

It would be great if someone would know how to tackle this error

Can you look at your elasticsearch log files to see the full stack trace? You should see another exception which contains the name of the field being parsed.

I looked at the log files and the entries just look like the following (shortened) one

Could not push log to Elasticsearch: 
{"took"=>182, "errors"=>true, "items"=>[
<a lot of working ones>,
{"index"=>
 {"_index"=>"some-service-log-2017.12.05", "_type"=>"some-service", "_id"=>"AWAmgPHDW8acwW_CgGC0", "status"=>400, "error"=>
  { "type"=>"mapper_parsing_exception", "reason"=>"failed to parse", "caused_by"=>
   {"type"=>"illegal_argument_exception", "reason"=>"object field starting or ending with a [.] makes object resolution ambiguous: [\v]"}
  }
 }
}
, <some more entries>
]}

I couldn't find any other exceptions (for this index) in there.

But after looking at the Index Patterns (in Kibana) again, I was able to find a strange looking field (mapped as object) ending with ".[a few spaces]"

I remapped the field to text and found out that this was the problem.

Thanks for your help.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.