Error writing to Elastic search from Databricks

Hello,

I am an Elasticsearch newbie trying to connect to Elasticsearch on GCP from databricks on AWS.

I tried following instructions provided by databricks (unable to post link here).

However, I am now running into the following error:
org.elasticsearch.hadoop.EsHadoopIllegalArgumentException: Cannot detect ES version - typically this happens if the network/Elasticsearch cluster is not accessible or when targeting a WAN/Cloud instance without the proper setting 'es.nodes.wan.only'

I am able to ping the elastic instance from databricks.
I am running on cluster databricks run time LTS 13.3 which uses Scala 2.12 and Spark 3.4.1.
I have installed elasticsearch-spark-30_2.12:8.11.4 library from maven repo.

My code is:

( people.write
  .format("org.elasticsearch.spark.sql")
  .option("es.nodes", "35.193.143.25:9243")
  .option("es.index.auto.create", "true")
  .option("es.resource", "test") 
  .option("es.nodes.wan.only", "true")
  .mode("overwrite")
  .save()
)

Appreciate any help on resolving this issue.

Thank you!

Which version of Elasticsearch are you using? How is this configured?

I am using Elasticsearch 8.12.1 provisioned in GCP through elastic cloud.
This is a very basic trial version of the service.

All Elastic Cloud clusters have security enabled and it does not seem like you are providing any security settings.

I have not used the ES Hadoop connector but have looked at a few related issues and they all have .option("es.net.ssl", "true"), .option("es.net.http.auth.user", "elastic") and .option("es.net.http.auth.pass", "password") set. Can you try adding this to see if it makes any difference?

Thank you for pointing that out. I was thinking about security as well, but, I did not see any options pertaining to this while creating the instance. So, is the user and password "elastic" and "password" or do I need to set this user up in my elastic instance?

The username and password will depend on your cluster. I would suggest creating a new user with the correct privilages and use this. The values I provided are only examples.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.