ES pure Java?


(Andrej) #1

Hello,

I hope this question does not sound too strange, is elasticsearch pure
Java or is it using any connections to native routines? The background
is pretty simple, since updating to es 0.19.3 I had several JVM
crashes with segmentation faults caused by an elasticsearch thread. So
I am trying to figure out if this is a problem of ES or the JVM. I
never had problems like this with any other version for over a year
now.

Does anyone experience the same problem?

Thanks!
Andrej


(Shay Banon) #2

It is in "pure" Java, yea, can you gist your error file?

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Andrej Rosenheinrich <
andrej.rosenheinrich@unister.de> wrote:

Hello,

I hope this question does not sound too strange, is elasticsearch pure
Java or is it using any connections to native routines? The background
is pretty simple, since updating to es 0.19.3 I had several JVM
crashes with segmentation faults caused by an elasticsearch thread. So
I am trying to figure out if this is a problem of ES or the JVM. I
never had problems like this with any other version for over a year
now.

Does anyone experience the same problem?

Thanks!
Andrej


(Andrej) #3


On 2 Mai, 18:06, Shay Banon kim...@gmail.com wrote:

It is in "pure" Java, yea, can you gist your error file?

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Andrej Rosenheinrich <

andrej.rosenheinr...@unister.de> wrote:

Hello,

I hope this question does not sound too strange, is elasticsearch pure
Java or is it using any connections to native routines? The background
is pretty simple, since updating to es 0.19.3 I had several JVM
crashes with segmentation faults caused by an elasticsearch thread. So
I am trying to figure out if this is a problem of ES or the JVM. I
never had problems like this with any other version for over a year
now.

Does anyone experience the same problem?

Thanks!
Andrej


(tsuna) #4

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 6:01 AM, Andrej Rosenheinrich
andrej.rosenheinrich@unister.de wrote:

https://gist.github.com/01670f04f86c011980bd
https://gist.github.com/ca6885a9655399e8958b

I'm not sure what enables you to say the SEGV is "caused by an
elasticsearch thread". To me it appears that you're crashing within
VMThread, possibly during a GC.

I've had weird errors like this in past, and it was often due to
failing hardware, most commonly bad memory introducing random SIGSEGV
and SIGILL. GC activity tends to tickle failing hardware because it
touches a lot of pages in memory.

--
Benoit "tsuna" Sigoure
Software Engineer @ www.StumbleUpon.com


(Shay Banon) #5

Also, try and update the JVM to a new version, you are using 1.6 u24, which
has bugs, especially when comrpessed oops are enabled.

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 7:17 PM, tsuna tsunanet@gmail.com wrote:

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 6:01 AM, Andrej Rosenheinrich
andrej.rosenheinrich@unister.de wrote:

https://gist.github.com/01670f04f86c011980bd
https://gist.github.com/ca6885a9655399e8958b

I'm not sure what enables you to say the SEGV is "caused by an
elasticsearch thread". To me it appears that you're crashing within
VMThread, possibly during a GC.

I've had weird errors like this in past, and it was often due to
failing hardware, most commonly bad memory introducing random SIGSEGV
and SIGILL. GC activity tends to tickle failing hardware because it
touches a lot of pages in memory.

--
Benoit "tsuna" Sigoure
Software Engineer @ www.StumbleUpon.com


(system) #6