shield.authc.realms:
active_directory:
type: active_directory
order: 0
domain_name: domain.com
unmapped_groups_as_roles: true
url: ldap://domain.com

after doing that , the elasticsearch service won't start
nothing in the logs , when commenting out these lines everything is working just fine
am i missing something?

forgot to add :
i have shield installed properly and so far i have used basic authentication
and everything worked

what version of shield are you using?

Hi, thanks for your reply
Im using shield 2.3

Is that 2.3.0? Can you try 2.3.2? https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/shield/current/release-notes.html#_2_3_2

it's 2.3.3 actually

by the way
any shiled setting i put in the elasticsearch.yml , after restart , the es service fails
like i tried to add this setting : shield.audit.enabled
and again restarted the service and again it faild

Have you tried starting elasticsearch manually bin/elasticsearch rather than as a service to see if any exception is printed?

yes , got this message
Exception in thread "main" ElasticsearchException[Failed to load logging configu ration]; nested: NoSuchFileException[/usr/share/elasticsearch/config];
Likely root cause: java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /usr/share/elasticsearch/c onfig
at sun.nio.fs.UnixException.translateToIOException(UnixException.java:86 )
at sun.nio.fs.UnixException.rethrowAsIOException(UnixException.java:102)
at sun.nio.fs.UnixException.rethrowAsIOException(UnixException.java:107)
at sun.nio.fs.UnixFileAttributeViews$Basic.readAttributes(UnixFileAttrib uteViews.java:55)
at sun.nio.fs.UnixFileSystemProvider.readAttributes(UnixFileSystemProvid er.java:144)
at sun.nio.fs.LinuxFileSystemProvider.readAttributes(LinuxFileSystemProv ider.java:99)
at java.nio.file.Files.readAttributes(Files.java:1737)
at java.nio.file.FileTreeWalker.getAttributes(FileTreeWalker.java:225)
at java.nio.file.FileTreeWalker.visit(FileTreeWalker.java:276)
at java.nio.file.FileTreeWalker.walk(FileTreeWalker.java:322)
at java.nio.file.Files.walkFileTree(Files.java:2662)
at org.elasticsearch.common.logging.log4j.LogConfigurator.resolveConfig( LogConfigurator.java:142)
at org.elasticsearch.common.logging.log4j.LogConfigurator.configure(LogC onfigurator.java:103)
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Bootstrap.init(Bootstrap.java:243)
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.main(Elasticsearch.java:35)
Refer to the log for complete error details.

ok , i've moved the ymls files to the /usr/share/elasticsearch/config dorectory and now i'm getting this:

Exception in thread "main" SettingsException[Failed to load settings from [elasticsearch.yml]]; nested: E lasticsearchParseException[malformed, expected end of settings but encountered additional content startin g at line number: [97], column number: [1]]; nested: ParserException[expected '', but fou nd BlockMappingStart
in 'reader', line 97, column 1:
shield.authc.realms:
^
];
Likely root cause: expected '', but found BlockMappingStart
in 'reader', line 97, column 1:
shield.authc.realms:
^

at com.fasterxml.jackson.dataformat.yaml.snakeyaml.parser.ParserImpl$ParseDocumentStart.produce(P                               arserImpl.java:225)
    at com.fasterxml.jackson.dataformat.yaml.snakeyaml.parser.ParserImpl.peekEvent(ParserImpl.java:15                               8)
    at com.fasterxml.jackson.dataformat.yaml.snakeyaml.parser.ParserImpl.getEvent(ParserImpl.java:168                               )
    at com.fasterxml.jackson.dataformat.yaml.YAMLParser.nextToken(YAMLParser.java:342)
    at org.elasticsearch.common.xcontent.json.JsonXContentParser.nextToken(JsonXContentParser.java:53                               )
    at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.loader.XContentSettingsLoader.load(XContentSettingsLoader.ja                               va:72)
    at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.loader.XContentSettingsLoader.load(XContentSettingsLoader.ja                               va:45)
    at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.loader.YamlSettingsLoader.load(YamlSettingsLoader.java:46)
    at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.Settings$Builder.loadFromStream(Settings.java:1080)
    at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.Settings$Builder.loadFromPath(Settings.java:1067)
    at org.elasticsearch.node.internal.InternalSettingsPreparer.prepareEnvironment(InternalSettingsPr                               eparer.java:88)
    at org.elasticsearch.common.cli.CliTool.<init>(CliTool.java:107)
    at org.elasticsearch.common.cli.CliTool.<init>(CliTool.java:100)
    at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.BootstrapCLIParser.<init>(BootstrapCLIParser.java:48)
    at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Bootstrap.init(Bootstrap.java:226)

Refer to the log for complete error details.

i dont know why but now the service is starting stays active for 4-5 sec and then fails again with the following error in the log file :
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: missing realm type for [domain_name] realm
at org.elasticsearch.shield.authc.Realms.initRealms(Realms.java:111)
at org.elasticsearch.shield.authc.Realms.doStart(Realms.java:59)
at org.elasticsearch.common.component.AbstractLifecycleComponent.start(AbstractLifecycleComponent.java:68)
at org.elasticsearch.node.Node.start(Node.java:255)
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:206)
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Bootstrap.init(Bootstrap.java:272)
[2016-07-07 10:58:13,152][INFO ][node ] [elastic_test_02] stopping ...
[2016-07-07 10:58:13,152][INFO ][node ] [elastic_test_02] stopped
[2016-07-07 10:58:13,152][INFO ][node ] [elastic_test_02] closing ...
[2016-07-07 10:58:13,158][INFO ][node ] [elastic_test_02] closed

It seems like your elasticsearch.yml file isn't formatted correctly. Can you upload the actual file and preserve formatting?

Yes , you were right , the format was bad .. i played around a little bit with the spaces and tabs , that solved it
Thanks you so mach for your help!