Execute enrich policy always blocks until complete. Improve documentation or bug?

See execute-enrich-policy-api-query-params wait_for_completion

I am running Elasticsearch version 7.17.2 and this part of the documentation is a bit confusing

wait_for_completion
    (Required, Boolean) If true, the request blocks other enrich policy execution requests until complete. Defaults to true.

When I execute a enrich policy twice in a row with wait_for_completion=false I expected that the second invocation would not block according to this documentation. However, the second invocation returns a status 429 - too many requests. I assume that the request is "blocked" when I receive that status. Is this a bug or is it just the documentation that needs a update? Why is not the obvious effect better documented, that is that the request returns before the task is completed with a taskid when wait_for_completion=false?

PUT /_enrich/policy/my-policy/_execute?wait_for_completion=false

The only difference seems to be that wait_for_completion=false returns before it is completed with a taskid while wait_for_completion=true returns a response when it has been completed (unless there is an error ofc).

There is also no documentation of the different type of responses that is returned

returns before task is completed a taskid

{
  "task" : "-q20J8U_SGOFg0d4CFXceg:39550"
}
PUT /_enrich/policy/my-policy/_execute?wait_for_completion=true

returns

{
  "status" : {
    "phase" : "COMPLETE"
  }
}

How to produce a "block" or 429 response
Do a

then immediately follow up with

PUT /_enrich/policy/my-policy/_execute?wait_for_completion=true

or

to get the response

{
  "error" : {
    "root_cause" : [
      {
        "type" : "es_rejected_execution_exception",
        "reason" : "Could not obtain lock because policy execution for [my-policy] is already in progress."
      }
    ],
    "type" : "es_rejected_execution_exception",
    "reason" : "Could not obtain lock because policy execution for [my-policy] is already in progress."
  },
  "status" : 429
}

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.