Extract kubernetes cluster name from logs to visualize in kibana dashboard

Hi!

I'm using filebeat in my GKE clusters to retrieve all logs for all my kubernetes clusters.

I would like to do a filter / dashboard or visualization (I don't how to say it hehe) that I can filter logs by kubernetes cluster, but I can't.

Because I receive a lot of fields, but not the cluster name, instead I have 4 fields in json log that are the same information, the node of the cluster but not the name. :sweat:

|host.hostname |gke-cluster-1-default-pool-65936c7e-g451|
|host.name |gke-cluster-1-default-pool-65936c7e-g451|
|kubernetes.node.name |gke-cluster-1-default-pool-65936c7e-g451|
|cloud.instance.name |gke-cluster-1-default-pool-65936c7e-g451|

The name in that case is gke-cluster-1.

Do you know how I can do something to obtain one column or field with that name? maybe using regex in kibana or filebeat?

I'm supposed to be able to get the name of the cluster, right?

Could you help me, please?

Thank you so much!

Hi @David_Oceans,

That data is not available, but you are right, should be something to consider when adding kubernetes metadata. The problem is that this field is hard to get, afaik it is used at the internal DNS and not exposed anywhere. Entering a pod and digging for the DNS doesn't looks like a solution.

Would labeling your nodes and adding the kubernetes metadata to your configuration work?
If not, adding a custom field that contains the cluster id would be a solution for you?

I've added the new field and now I'm retrieving the information, but it happens a weird thing.

• add_fields:
    target: ''
    fields:
    gkeclustername: core-marpps

Because now I see the new field in kibana, even I can create a PIE chart with this field, but I'm not able to create a "Control visualization", I mean a dropdown menu.

The error is
Filtering occurs on the "gkeclustername" field, which doesn't exist on any documents in the "gke_prod_*" index pattern.
Choose a different field or index that contain values for this field

I don't know why I can't. If the field exist, I'm watching the same in kibana search and in other visualization like pie chart, but not in dropdown control.

Do you know why?? is because is a customfield? its a simple string.

Thank you so much

I found the solution, putting the option "Using time filter" in the dropdown :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.