Extracting fields from existing message field in windows logs

I have winlogbeat that sends evtx files to logstash and than the output of logstash goes to elastic.
In the windows event logs, there is a field named "message". the problem is that the field type is text, so i cannot use sql wildcard (like '%') on that field.
I am trying to extract, for example the "Error code:" from the long text in the message field.
I tried grok, kv splits filters, nothing worked.
Can anyone help?

I suspect Most of this would be done for you with the pipelines if you just sent winlogbeat directly to Elasticsearch .... if configured correctly... and you run setup etc.

I always recommend getting the Beats->Elasticsearch architecture working first before introducing Logastash

Once you get that working then you can move towards

Beats->Logstash->Elastcsearch Ingest Architecture

When you put logstash in the middle some important data is not forwarded unless you use the correctly

Here is a post on similar.. its filebeat but the concept is the same

Hi stephenb,
Thanks for your reply.
I did not find a way to achieve my need with pipelines(I checked the official documents again) . that's why I went with logstash.


Fair enough, if you want help with a logstash pipeline perhaps you should post a sample of you logs and your logstash pipeline and perhaps someone can help.

You did look at this

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.