Facet by entire field text

Hello,

Can one have a facet that is field based? The field is analyzed, but I
dont want a terms facet. I would like to facet on the entire text of the
field?

Thanks

--

You would need to set the field as multi-field, with one field set as
non_analyzed (or use the keyword analyzer). You can then use the term facet
on this new field.

This change requires a re-index. Your current index does not have the
proper tokens to create the facet you are looking for.

--
Ivan

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Kubes philip@freepricealerts.com wrote:

Hello,

Can one have a facet that is field based? The field is analyzed, but I
dont want a terms facet. I would like to facet on the entire text of the
field?

Thanks

--

--

Iva,

Thanks. So being new to Elasticsearch a few additional questions?

  1. Setting field as multi-field is via a mapping, correct?
  2. How does one re-index? My understanding was it cant be done?

On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 2:27:51 PM UTC-5, Ivan Brusic wrote:

You would need to set the field as multi-field, with one field set as
non_analyzed (or use the keyword analyzer). You can then use the term facet
on this new field.

This change requires a re-index. Your current index does not have the
proper tokens to create the facet you are looking for.

--
Ivan

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Kubes <phi...@freepricealerts.com<javascript:>

wrote:

Hello,

Can one have a facet that is field based? The field is analyzed, but I
dont want a terms facet. I would like to facet on the entire text of the
field?

Thanks

--

--

Answers inline.

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Kubes philip@freepricealerts.com wrote:

Iva,

Thanks. So being new to Elasticsearch a few additional questions?

  1. Setting field as multi-field is via a mapping, correct?

Correct. Multi-field's main use case is exactly what you are looking for.
Same field: one field analyzed, the other not.

http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/reference/mapping/multi-field-type.html

  1. How does one re-index? My understanding was it cant be done?

Indexing is application dependent, so you would need to kick off
whichever mechanism you have in place. I believe there is a reindexing
plugin. Not sure, never used it.

Technically, you do not need to reindex, but only newer documents will have
the mapping and contain both fields. When you have a facet over the new
field, the older documents will not appear.

--
Ivan

On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 2:27:51 PM UTC-5, Ivan Brusic wrote:

You would need to set the field as multi-field, with one field set as
non_analyzed (or use the keyword analyzer). You can then use the term facet
on this new field.

This change requires a re-index. Your current index does not have the
proper tokens to create the facet you are looking for.

--
Ivan

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Kubes phi...@freepricealerts.comwrote:

Hello,

Can one have a facet that is field based? The field is analyzed, but I
dont want a terms facet. I would like to facet on the entire text of the
field?

Thanks

--

--

--