Failed to execute index. number of documents in the index cannot exceed 2147483519

Hi Guys,

I am having problems with the capacity of ElasticSearch as below.
I'm understanding the number od docs per shard reached to maximum number - 2147483519. I deleted many docs but the error continues, Elasticsearch cannot continue indexing new records.
Can you guide me how to reuse the deleted space for new data can be indexing?

[2020-06-22 23:25:11,345][DEBUG][action.index ] [ -DC2] [call-recordingv2-vn-fd82eaac-e6a5-4670-a50f-5bf913f2dd8a][1], node[p7QiwMPVTSeQMirAwq1TxA], [P], s[STARTED]: Failed to execute [index {[call-recordingv2-vn-fd82eaac-e6a5-4670-a50f-5bf913f2dd8a][CallRecordings][DNTJ90SGQ17GL5VGLTFKETGRNO0038FJ]}]
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: number of documents in the index cannot exceed 2147483519
at org.apache.lucene.index.DocumentsWriterPerThread.reserveOneDoc(DocumentsWriterPerThread.java:218)
at org.apache.lucene.index.DocumentsWriterPerThread.updateDocuments(DocumentsWriterPerThread.java:277)
at org.apache.lucene.index.DocumentsWriter.updateDocuments(DocumentsWriter.java:424)
at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.updateDocuments(IndexWriter.java:1353)
at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.addDocuments(IndexWriter.java:1311)
at org.elasticsearch.index.engine.InternalEngine.innerIndex(InternalEngine.java:430)
at org.elasticsearch.index.engine.InternalEngine.index(InternalEngine.java:364)
at org.elasticsearch.index.shard.IndexShard.index(IndexShard.java:510)
at org.elasticsearch.action.index.TransportIndexAction.shardOperationOnPrimary(TransportIndexAction.java:196)
at org.elasticsearch.action.support.replication.TransportShardReplicationOperationAction$PrimaryPhase.performOnPrimary(TransportShardReplicationOperationAction.java:574)
at org.elasticsearch.action.support.replication.TransportShardReplicationOperationAction$PrimaryPhase$1.doRun(TransportShardReplicationOperationAction.java:440)
at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.AbstractRunnable.run(AbstractRunnable.java:36)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

The number of docs per shard:

:9200/_cat/indices?v

Welcome to our community! :smiley:
Please don't post pictures of text, they are difficult to read, impossible to search and replicate (if it's code), and some people may not be even able to see them :slight_smile:

After you deleted the documents, did you run a force merge on the indices?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.