Failed to obtain node locks

I have a single node ElasticSearch Cluster in local. I am unable to start elasticsearch service getting this error:

[bhatr@BLRVCESVM27547]~/elasticsearch-6.8.8/bin% elasticsearch                                                                                          5:30AM
[2020-04-27T05:30:14,280][WARN ][o.e.b.ElasticsearchUncaughtExceptionHandler] [unknown] uncaught exception in thread [main]
org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.StartupException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: failed to obtain node locks, tried [[/remote/users/bhatr/elasticsearch-6.8.8/data]] with lock id [0]; maybe these locations are not writable or multiple nodes were started without increasing [node.max_local_storage_nodes] (was [1])?
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.init(Elasticsearch.java:163) ~[elasticsearch-6.8.8.jar:6.8.8]
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.execute(Elasticsearch.java:150) ~[elasticsearch-6.8.8.jar:6.8.8]
        at org.elasticsearch.cli.EnvironmentAwareCommand.execute(EnvironmentAwareCommand.java:86) ~[elasticsearch-6.8.8.jar:6.8.8]
        at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.mainWithoutErrorHandling(Command.java:124) ~[elasticsearch-cli-6.8.8.jar:6.8.8]
        at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.main(Command.java:90) ~[elasticsearch-cli-6.8.8.jar:6.8.8]
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.main(Elasticsearch.java:116) ~[elasticsearch-6.8.8.jar:6.8.8]
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.main(Elasticsearch.java:93) ~[elasticsearch-6.8.8.jar:6.8.8]
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: failed to obtain node locks, tried [[/remote/users/bhatr/elasticsearch-6.8.8/data]] with lock id [0]; maybe these locations are not writable or multiple nodes were started without increasing [node.max_local_storage_nodes] (was [1])?
        at org.elasticsearch.env.NodeEnvironment.<init>(NodeEnvironment.java:300) ~[elasticsearch-6.8.8.jar:6.8.8]
        at org.elasticsearch.node.Node.<init>(Node.java:296) ~[elasticsearch-6.8.8.jar:6.8.8]
        at org.elasticsearch.node.Node.<init>(Node.java:266) ~[elasticsearch-6.8.8.jar:6.8.8]
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Bootstrap$5.<init>(Bootstrap.java:212) ~[elasticsearch-6.8.8.jar:6.8.8]
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Bootstrap.setup(Bootstrap.java:212) ~[elasticsearch-6.8.8.jar:6.8.8]
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Bootstrap.init(Bootstrap.java:333) ~[elasticsearch-6.8.8.jar:6.8.8]
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.init(Elasticsearch.java:159) ~[elasticsearch-6.8.8.jar:6.8.8]
        ... 6 more

All directories in elasticsearch have rwx permission.
What is the solution for this?
Unix flavour : Red Hat 4.8.5

Edit:
RedHat Version : 7.5

I am hoping you got the version of RedHat Linux wrong as that looks very old and not supported. What kind of storage are you using? Some kind of networked storage?

I am using HDD.

Yes , I am using a remote VM

That is not a supported OS so I have no idea what effects that could have. I would recommend upgrading to a supported one to eliminate this being the cause.

Okay. Thank you, I'll do that.

@Christian_Dahlqvist. Sorry I got it wrong. RedHat Version is :7.5
All files in elasticsearch folder have rwx permission. And there is no orphan java process. what else could be the issue?

Deleted data folder and rebooted VM. Now it is working

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.