Few queries pertaining to elasticsearch cluster

Hi Team,

I am trying to build my first cluster on elasticsearch and I do have few queries regarding the same.

My retention period will be around 6-8 months
I am thinking of 2 elastic nodes
So in a cluster, per my understanding, I need at least one master node and one data node. since I am planning to use 2 nodes. Can I make both one node as
master and data while other as data only?

OR both the nodes as master and data? OR I need to have 3 nodes only to make a complete cluster?

For me, data redundancy is primary hence would really appreciate if someone can help me on this?

TIA

You need three master-eligible nodes and two data nodes in order to achieve redundancy. Each node can be both a data node and a master-eligible node (that's the default) so this means the smallest resilient cluster contains three nodes: two mixed master-data nodes and one dedicated master node. You can theoretically make the dedicated master node smaller and cheaper than the two data nodes as long as you do not send it any indexing or search traffic, but in practice it's often simpler to have three identical mixed data/master nodes.

3 Likes

Thanks man!! and appreciate your quick turn around. So my config would be -

Node 1-:
node.master: true
node.data: false

Node-2 -:
node.data: true

Node-3
node.data:true

Yep (don't forget to set discovery.zen.minimum_master_nodes too, in versions prior to 7.0.0).

That is 3?

It should be 2 if you have 3 master-eligible nodes.

One further step is to connect Kibana to my cluster; can someone please confirm if below config is valid?

ES - 3 nodes
Kibana/ES - On same node
########

ES1
cluster.name: my-cluster
discovery.zen.minimum_master_nodes: 2

ES2

ES3

ES/Kibana 4
node.master: false
node.ingest: false

kibana.yml
elasticsearch.hosts: ["http://localhost:9200"]

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.