File input pipeline not working in Logstash 5.6.3

Hello,

I have a single-node ElasticStack 5.6.3 on Ubuntu 14.04 in AWS, and I'm trying to get AWS RDS logs sent to it. I have a script (on the same node) that downloads the log files with no issues.

Here's my Logstash input configuration:

input {
  file {
    id => "input-file-rds-postgresql"
    path => [ "/var/local/logstash/rds/*/error/*.log.*" ]
    add_field => { "type" => "rds-postgresql" }
  }
}

It's followed by this filter:

filter {
  if [fields][type] == "rds-postgresql" {
    grok {
      id => "filter-grok-rds-postgresql"
      patterns_dir => "/etc/logstash/patterns"
      patterns_files_glob => "*.conf"
      match => { "message" => [ "%{PGLOG}" ] }
    }
    date {
      match => [ "timestamp", "YYYY-MM-dd HH:mm:ss z", "YYYY-MM-dd HH:mm:ss" ]
    }
  }
}

Here's the custom pattern file for the above:

PGUSERNAME [a-zA-Z0-9\-\.]+
PGDBNAME [a-zA-Z0-9\-\.]+
PGDATE %{YEAR}-%{MONTHNUM}-%{MONTHDAY} %{TIME}
PGLOGLEVEL (?:DEBUG(?:\d)?|INFO|NOTICE|WARNING|ERROR|LOG|FATAL|PANIC)
PGLOG %{PGDATE:timestamp} %{TZ:timezone}\:(?:%{IPORHOST:[pg][remote_host]}\(%{POSINT:[pg][remote_port]:int}\))?\:(?:%{PGUSERNAME:[pg][user]})?\@(?:%{PGDBNAME:[pg][instance]})?\:\[(?:%{POSINT:[pg][pid]:int})?\]\:%{PGLOGLEVEL:[pg][severity]}\:  %{GREEDYDATA:[pg][message]}

The pattern has been tested against the log contents in Grok debugger.

As I download the logs I see Logstash creating a sincedb file in /var/lib/logstash/plugins/inputs/file/; I spot-checked a few inodes and indeed the sincedb file seems to reflect Logstash picking up the files that I need. Running ls on the path pattern in the input filter shows the files in question.

Now, when I go to Kibana and look for

fields.type:rds-postgresql

I get no results.

It seems to me that I'm missing something very basic, but so far I haven't been able to spot it.

Any help or insights would be highly appreciated.

Thank you,
Sergey

As you are setting the type field in the file input, I would expect it to be at the root level rather than fields.type.

Thanks for responding - that makes sense. I changed the filter part to read

if [type] == "rds-postgresql" {

but still nothing in Elasticsearch.

My understanding from other portions of Elastic documentation was that "add_field" doesn't do it at the root level, but instead adds it to "fields" - please correct me if I'm mistaken here. Also, I specifically avoid setting the root-level "type" as I understand it's been deprecated.

Another note: I have beats input configured on the same node with fields.type added by Filebeat (from various sources) and they work just fine.

Print the events to stdout using a rubydebug codec. That will allow you to see what the final event looks like and will make troubleshooting this a lot easier.

Christian_Dahlqvist, thanks again. I have added this output:

output {
  stdout {
    id => "output-stdout"
    codec => "rubydebug"
  }
}

but now Logstash won't start at all :frowning: The error is

[2017-11-21T22:54:00,478][FATAL][logstash.runner          ] An unexpected error occurred! {:error=>#<NameError: undefined local variable or method `dotfile' for #<AwesomePrint::Inspector:0x48a1f44f>>, :backtrace=>["/usr/share/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/awesome_print-1.8.0/lib/awesome_print/inspector.rb:163:in `merge_custom_defaults!'", "/usr/share/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/awesome_print-1.8.0/lib/awesome_print/inspector.rb:50:in `initialize'", "/usr/share/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/awesome_print-1.8.0/lib/awesome_print/core_ext/kernel.rb:9:in `ai'", "/usr/share/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-codec-rubydebug-3.0.4/lib/logstash/codecs/rubydebug.rb:39:in `encode_default'", "org/jruby/RubyMethod.java:120:in `call'", "/usr/share/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9/gems/logstash-codec-rubydebug-3.0.4/lib/logstash/codecs/rubydebug.rb:35:in `encode'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/codecs/base.rb:50:in `multi_encode'", "org/jruby/RubyArray.java:1613:in `each'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/codecs/base.rb:50:in `multi_encode'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/outputs/base.rb:90:in `multi_receive'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/output_delegator_strategies/single.rb:15:in `multi_receive'", "org/jruby/ext/thread/Mutex.java:149:in `synchronize'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/output_delegator_strategies/single.rb:14:in `multi_receive'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/output_delegator.rb:49:in `multi_receive'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:434:in `output_batch'", "org/jruby/RubyHash.java:1342:in `each'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:433:in `output_batch'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:381:in `worker_loop'", "/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/pipeline.rb:342:in `start_workers'"]}

Not sure what else to try at this point.

Best regards,
Sergey

I don’t think the rubydebug should be quoted.

Thank you! Trying again...

No luck :frowning: New config:

output {
  stdout {
    id => "output-stdout"
    codec => rubydebug
  }
}

Same error...

I do not see how that error is necessarily related to the stdout output plugin. Can you show the rest of your config?

The total config is about 150 lines with comments excluded. Is it OK to post it in a reply here? Also, please note: Logstash starts up fine without the output stdout section. In any case, I truly appreciate your help.

Christian_Dahlqvist, here's the full config that works (with the exception of rds-postgresql filter):

$ cat /etc/logstash/conf.d/*.conf | grep -v '^#'
input {
  beats {
    port => 5044
  }
}
input {
  file {
    id => "input-file-rds-postgresql"
    path => [ "/var/local/logstash/rds/*/error/*.log.*" ]
    add_field => { "type" => "rds-postgresql" }
  }
}
filter {
  grok {
    id => "filter-grok-asg-color"
    match => ["host", "[a-z0-9]+-web-(?<asg_color>[a-z]+)-[a-z0-9]{3}"]
  }
}
filter {
  grok {
    id => "filter-grok-environment"
    match => ["host", "(?<environment>[a-z0-9]+)"]
  }
}
filter {
  if [fields][type] == "authlog" {
    grok {
      id => "filter-grok-authlog"
      match => { "message" => ["%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:[system][auth][timestamp]} %{SYSLOGHOST:[system][auth][hostname]} sshd(?:\[%{POSINT:[system][auth][pid]}\])?: %{DATA:[system][auth][ssh][event]} %{DATA:[system][auth][ssh][method]} for (invalid user )?%{DATA:[system][auth][user]} from %{IPORHOST:[system][auth][ssh][ip]} port %{NUMBER:[system][auth][ssh][port]} ssh2(: %{GREEDYDATA:[system][auth][ssh][signature]})?",
      "%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:[system][auth][timestamp]} %{SYSLOGHOST:[system][auth][hostname]} sshd(?:\[%{POSINT:[system][auth][pid]}\])?: %{DATA:[system][auth][ssh][event]} user %{DATA:[system][auth][user]} from %{IPORHOST:[system][auth][ssh][ip]}",
      "%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:[system][auth][timestamp]} %{SYSLOGHOST:[system][auth][hostname]} sshd(?:\[%{POSINT:[system][auth][pid]}\])?: Did not receive identification string from %{IPORHOST:[system][auth][ssh][dropped_ip]}",
      "%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:[system][auth][timestamp]} %{SYSLOGHOST:[system][auth][hostname]} sudo(?:\[%{POSINT:[system][auth][pid]}\])?: \s*%{DATA:[system][auth][user]} :( %{DATA:[system][auth][sudo][error]} ;)? TTY=%{DATA:[system][auth][sudo][tty]} ; PWD=%{DATA:[system][auth][sudo][pwd]} ; USER=%{DATA:[system][auth][sudo][user]} ; COMMAND=%{GREEDYDATA:[system][auth][sudo][command]}",
      "%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:[system][auth][timestamp]} %{SYSLOGHOST:[system][auth][hostname]} groupadd(?:\[%{POSINT:[system][auth][pid]}\])?: new group: name=%{DATA:system.auth.groupadd.name}, GID=%{NUMBER:system.auth.groupadd.gid}",
      "%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:[system][auth][timestamp]} %{SYSLOGHOST:[system][auth][hostname]} useradd(?:\[%{POSINT:[system][auth][pid]}\])?: new user: name=%{DATA:[system][auth][user][add][name]}, UID=%{NUMBER:[system][auth][user][add][uid]}, GID=%{NUMBER:[system][auth][user][add][gid]}, home=%{DATA:[system][auth][user][add][home]}, shell=%{DATA:[system][auth][user][add][shell]}$",
      "%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:[system][auth][timestamp]} %{SYSLOGHOST:[system][auth][hostname]} %{DATA:[system][auth][program]}(?:\[%{POSINT:[system][auth][pid]}\])?: %{GREEDYMULTILINE:[system][auth][message]}"]
      }
      pattern_definitions => {
      "GREEDYMULTILINE"=> "(.|\n)*"
      }
    remove_field => "message"
    }
    date {
      match => [ "[system][auth][timestamp]", "MMM  d HH:mm:ss", "MMM dd HH:mm:ss" ]
    }
  }
}
filter {
  if [fields][type] == "celery" {
    grok {
      id => "filter-grok-celery"
      match => { "message" => "%{CELERY}" }
    }
    date {
      match => [ "timestamp", "YYYY-MM-dd HH:mm:ss,SSS" ]
    }
  }
}
filter {
  if [fields][type] == "codedeploy" {
    grok {
      id => "filter-grok-codedeploy"
      break_on_match => false
      match => { "message" => [ "%{CODEDEPLOYMARK}", "%{CODEDEPLOY}", "%{CODEDEPLOYSCRIPT}" ] }
    }
    date {
      match => [ "timestamp", "YYYY-MM-dd HH:mm:ss.SSS", "YYYY-MM-dd HH:mm:ss Z" ]
    }
  }
}
filter {
  if [fields][type] == "rds-postgresql" {
    grok {
      id => "filter-grok-rds-postgresql"
      match => { "message" => [ "%{PGLOG}" ] }
    }
    date {
      match => [ "timestamp", "YYYY-MM-dd HH:mm:ss z", "YYYY-MM-dd HH:mm:ss" ]
    }
  }
}
filter {
  if [fields][type] == "site-backend" {
    grok {
      id => "filter-grok-site-backend"
      match => { "message" => "%{SITEBACKEND}" }
    }
  }
}
filter {
  if [fields][type] == "site-error" {
    grok {
      id => "filter-grok-site-error"
      match => { "message" => "%{SITEERROR}" }
    }
    date {
      match => [ "timestamp", "YYYY/MM/dd HH:mm:ss" ]
    }
  }
}
filter {
  if [fields][type] == "site-static" {
    grok {
      id => "filter-grok-site-static"
      match => { "message" => "%{SITESTATIC}" }
    }
  }
}
filter {
  if [fields][type] == "syslog" {
    grok {
      id => "filter-grok-syslog"
      match => { "message" => "%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:syslog_timestamp} %{SYSLOGHOST:syslog_hostname} %{DATA:syslog_program}(?:\[%{POSINT:syslog_pid}\])?: %{GREEDYDATA:syslog_message}" }
      add_field => [ "received_at", "%{@timestamp}" ]
      add_field => [ "received_from", "%{host}" ]
    }
    date {
      match => [ "syslog_timestamp", "MMM  d HH:mm:ss", "MMM dd HH:mm:ss" ]
    }
  }
}
filter {
  if [fields][type] == "uwsgi" {
    grok {
      id => "filter-grok-uwsgi"
      match => { "message" => [ "%{UWSGI}", "%{UWSGILOG}" ] }
    }
    date {
      match => [ "timestamp", "[EEE MMM dd HH:mm:ss yyyy]", "[EEE MMM  d HH:mm:ss yyyy]", "yyyy-dd-MM HH:mm:ss" ]
    }
  }
}
output {
  elasticsearch {
    hosts => [ "localhost:9200" ]
    index => "%{[@metadata][beat]}-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}"
    template_overwrite => "true"
  }
}
$

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.