Filebeat Autogenerating Index Name When I Specified: sample-%

I have specified the index in my filebeat.yml as sample-%{+YYY.MM.dd} but when I check my indices via /_cat/indices?vmyindexlooks like a some form of autogenerated name like:filebeat-7.5.2-2020.02.12-000001`

# setup filebeat to send output to elasticsearch
output.elasticsearch:
  hosts: ["elasticsearch:9200"]
  index: "sample-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}"

setup.template.name: "sample"
setup.template.pattern: "sample-*" 

Can someone please explain to me why this is happening. I would preferably have a predefined index name as opposed to the one above.

1 Like

This is probably caused by ILM (index lifecycle management), which overrides the output-level index settings. If you don't want Filebeat to manage your indices, you should include setup.ilm.enabled: false. If you want to keep using ILM but change the name, you probably want to set setup.ilm.rollover_alias (see the previous link for details).

As a general warning, though, it's usually best to start the index name with filebeat even if you customize it (e.g. filebeat-sample would be fine) because a lot of the automatic settings expect it.

1 Like

Thank you. Is that in the Filebeat.yml or the configuration? I’m using the containerised ELK in my case.

The ILM settings should be in filebeat.yml, yes.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.