Filebeat hitting payload size limit with AWS ElasticSearch

ElasticSearch is telling FileBeat that the payload is too large. I've tried setting bulk_max_size to 1 and still have the problem. My logs shouldn't be over 10MB in a single message, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

Here's the output config for my Kubernetes log collector:

output.elasticsearch:
      hosts: ['${ELASTICSEARCH_HOST:elasticsearch}:${ELASTICSEARCH_PORT:9200}']
      index: "kubernetes-%{[beat.version]}-%{+yyyy.MM.dd}"
      bulk_max_size: 1

And here's the error from Filebeat:

INFO    elasticsearch/client.go:712     Connected to Elasticsearch version 6.2.3
INFO    template/load.go:129    Template already exists and will not be overwritten.
INFO    pipeline/output.go:105  Connection to backoff(elasticsearch(https://my-elasticsearch.es.amazonaws.com:443)) established
INFO    [publish]       pipeline/retry.go:189   retryer: send unwait-signal to consumer
INFO    [publish]       pipeline/retry.go:191     done
ERROR   elasticsearch/client.go:317     Failed to perform any bulk index operations: 413 Request Entity Too Large: {"Message":"Request size exceeded 10485760 bytes"}
INFO    [publish]       pipeline/retry.go:166   retryer: send wait signal to consumer
INFO    [publish]       pipeline/retry.go:168     done
ERROR   pipeline/output.go:121  Failed to publish events: 413 Request Entity Too Large: {"Message":"Request size exceeded 10485760 bytes"}
INFO    pipeline/output.go:95   Connecting to backoff(elasticsearch(https://my-elasticsearch.es.amazonaws.com:443))
INFO    [publish]       pipeline/retry.go:189   retryer: send unwait-signal to consumer
INFO    [publish]       pipeline/retry.go:191     done
INFO    [publish]       pipeline/retry.go:166   retryer: send wait signal to consumer
INFO    [publish]       pipeline/retry.go:168     done

Logstash requires a special output plugin to communicate with AWS ES as it does not support HTTP basic auth if I recall correctly. I am therefore not sure Filebeat can index directly into AWS ES, so you may need to send data via Logstash.

Some data is correctly reaching ElasticSearch directly from Filebeat, so that much does work. But I do still get this error, suggesting not all data is reaching ElasticSearch.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.