Filebeat installation in linux

Hi Team,

I installed the filebeat in linux environment using the rpm installation sudo install rpm filename. On observing that the default directory layout data folder "/var/lib/filebeat" and logs folder "/var/log/filebeat" are not created. Is this any issue. Do we need to create these folder manually? Can any one guide me why this happened. I am not able to see any logs whether the file beat is running or not. Please help me in this issue.

Thanks & Regards
Sri

Hi,

There is no need to create it manually. These folders are created when Filebeat is started.
If you run filebeat.sh -e, it logs to stderr, so you can see what is happening. If -e is not specified logs will be written to /var/log/filebeat/filebeat by default.

Thanks for the reply. I am running this as a service. using the below command:
sudo service filebeat start

How do I change the above command to use -e option? Can I add it at the end after start?

It is not possible to use -e option in sudo service filbeat start command. If you want to use this option, you have to modify the initscript which is not advised.
Does /var/log/filebeat/filebeat is created after you start the service? What is the return value of sudo service filebeat start?

The idea is to run filebeat in foreground for testing/debugging. Once you got the configuration to work, you can run filebeat as service again.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.