Filebeat mongo module, grok pattern is incorrect for Mongo 4

(Matthew Zeemann) #1

I am trying to use Filebeat to send MongoDB 4 logs to Elastic and it is failing.

I have a log messages from Mongo that grok is failing to match against the supplied fields, e.g.

2018-09-25T05:16:13.012+0000 I STORAGE [WT RecordStoreThread: local.oplog.rs] WiredTiger record store oplog truncation finished in: 1ms

This results in:
Provided Grok expressions do not match field value: [2018-09-25T05:16:13.012+0000 I STORAGE [WT RecordStoreThread: local.oplog.rs] WiredTiger record store oplog truncation finished in: 1ms]

I am using the packaged filter from
/usr/share/filebeat/module/mongodb/log/ingest/pipeline.json

containing
"grok": { "field": "message", "patterns":[ "%{TIMESTAMP_ISO8601:mongodb.log.timestamp} %{WORD:mongodb.log.severity} %{WORD:mongodb.log.component} \\s*\\[%{WORD:mongodb.log.context}\\] %{GREEDYDATA:mongodb.log.message}" ], "ignore_missing": true }

Based on the documentation (https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/beats/filebeat/current/exported-fields-mongodb.html)

mongodb.log.context
type: keyword

example: initandlisten

Context of message

So mongodb.log.context is a keyword, but the message I get from Mongo is clearly no longer a single word, e.g.
[WT RecordStoreThread: local.oplog.rs]

My question is are there any known workarounds for this issue?

(Pier-Hugues Pellerin) #2

Hello @Matthew_Zeemann, I took a quick look at the code and you are right this is seems a new behavior in mongo 4 the tests that we have in place are for 3.x.

I think changing the WORD pattern for GREEDYDATA will work in that case. Something like the following.

`"%{TIMESTAMP_ISO8601:mongodb.log.timestamp} 
%{WORD:mongodb.log.severity} %{WORD:mongodb.log.component} 
\\s*\\[%{GREEDYDATA:mongodb.log.context}\\] %{GREEDYDATA:mongodb.log.message}"

Can you create an issue on our issue tracker for that? if you can test it out that would be awesome.

(system) #3

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.