Filebeat with multiple path and index

hi dear friends,
i have a filebeat with multiple paths that needs to ship logs directly to elasticsearch and i need each one to have it's index name , below is my filebeat.yml config file:

filebeat.inputs:
  - type: log
    enabled: true
    paths:
      - /opt/apigw/apigw-service/src/service.log
    fields:
    fields_under_root: true
    index: "apigw-%{+yyyy.MM.dd}"

- type: log
    paths:
      - /opt/microservices/account-service/src/service.log
    fields:
    index: "account-%{+yyyy.MM.dd}"

# Add more input configurations for other locations as needed...

filebeat.config.modules:
  path: ${path.config}/modules.d/*.yml
  reload.enabled: false

setup.template.settings:
  index.number_of_shards: 1
  setup.template.name: "filebeat"
  setup.template.pattern: "filebeat-*"

output.elasticsearch:
  hosts: ["https://$IP:9200"]
  ssl.certificate_authorities: ["/etc/logstash/conf.d/http_ca.crt"]
  username: "pashm"
  password: "PashmPassword"

# ================================== Logging ===================================
logging.level: warning
logging.to_files: true
logging.files:
  path: /var/log/filebeat/log
  name: filebeat
  keepfiles: 7
  permissions: 0750

@Milad_Akhlaghi What version are you on?

sorry for late reply and thank you for your time , filebeat version 8.13.0

My first question is almost always "Why different indices" ... there are pros / cons but often users want just to "see" different names... I have many customers that have 100s of sources into the the same filebeat indices... then just filter in Discover etc..etc.. not to say there is not a reason but often it is just "aesthetics"

If you want to write to indices like you show... How much experience do you have with creating all your own templates/datastreams etc... because that is what you are implying... You will need to create a template for each of those.

2nd I see that you are sending to logstash why not set the index names there?

You can just set a tag on each input and then use if/else in logstash elasticsearch output section to send to the indices you want

See here

that's what my manager wants, he wants each microservice to have it's indices, first he told my setup logstash then he told me to send them directly with filebeat. actually I'm not very familiar with template and logstash I only did it once.
so you believe I should handle it with logstash right?

OK, this is what you are going to do: You are going to meet your manager's needs (which is fine) and still use best practices and a bunch of built-in capabilities.

You going to use the new 8.X capabilities.

Eventuayyou should look at Elastic Agent. However, we will start with filebeat which still is a great solution. ... Your initial filebeat looks like a filebeat config from several years ago... which is OK, but much has changed, perhaps much has changed since your manager worked with elastic in the past... which is OK... but I would recommend to use the new 8,x capabilities... we will use some of the new built in agent capabilities but still use filebeat.

I will show you the code and then point you to read some docs as I am not going to write all the reasons / docs here :slight_smile:

1st upgrade to 8.13.1 as 8.13.0 had some issues

Then we are going to leverage data streams and all their power and we are going to follow the agent data streams naming patterns to leverage all the best practices (naming, data streams, ILM etc..etc..) ... with little work.

The days of naming indices with apigw-%{+yyyy.MM.dd}" are over :slight_smile: that is so 6.x, 7.x you will control with an ILM Policy.. you will get a default one logs which you can edit (event though it will warn you not to or you will create your own) That says agent but it is really about data streams ILM

We will use the data stream naming convention PLEASE read about the naming conventions from the link above what it means and do not use reserved characters

<type>-<dataset>-<namespace>

In this case the type will always be logs this will enable many many automatic capabilities so you will not need to create templates to start... you can customize later if needed, it will create a time series data stream (DO NOT ADD %{+yyyy.MM.dd} ) you will adjust with the time series...

In this case (You can kinda use namespace how you want... we often see users use it as environment prod, qa etc or something e

So you data streams will be
logs-apigw-default
or
logs-apigw-prod

filebeat.yml

filebeat.inputs:
- type: filestream << Use File Streams log is deprecated
  id: my-filestream-id
  paths:
    - /var/log/*.log
  fields:
    data_stream.type: logs << These will name the data stream 
    data_stream.dataset: system_log << These will name the data stream 
    data_stream.namespace: default << These will name the data stream 

- type: filestream
  id: my-apigw-id
  paths:
    - /opt/apigw/apigw-service/src/service.log

fields:
    data_stream.type: logs 
    data_stream.dataset: apigw  
    data_stream.namespace: prod  

setup.template.settings:
  index.number_of_shards: 1

setup.kibana:

# ------------------------------ Logstash Output -------------------------------
output.logstash:
  # The Logstash hosts
  hosts: ["localhost:5044"]
input {
  beats {
    port => 5044
  }
}

output {
  elasticsearch {
    hosts => ["http://localhost:9200"]
    data_stream => true << Enables data stream Will use the naming we set
    #user => "elastic"
    #password => "changeme"
  }
}

That is all you need plus whatever authentication SSL etc..etc..

Create a logs-* dataview and you can create a logs-apiw-* if you only want to see those...

There is A LOT here ... try it get started you will be in a decent place .

NOTE: This will not work automatically with filebeat modules, would need to think about that.. I think it can by just adding the integration and then setting the correct data_stream.dataset

BTW you can also do this sending direct from Filebeat to Elasticsearch and you will still get all the benefits above that I mentioned.

filebeat.inputs:
- type: filestream
  id: my-filestream-id
  paths:
    - /var/log/*.log
  fields:
    data_stream.type: logs
    data_stream.dataset: system_log
    data_stream.namespace: default

setup.ilm.enabled: false
setup.template.enabled: false
# setup.template.settings:
#   index.number_of_shards: 1

setup.kibana:

output.elasticsearch:
  hosts: ["http://localhost:9200"]
  index: "%{[data_stream.type]}-%{[data_stream.dataset]}-%{[data_stream.namespace]}"

i appreciate it , i will do and try all of them.