Filebeats(5.40) keeps on recreating the indices after deletion

I have filebeats reading the log files on a remote server and shipping it to logstash on the same server. I have tried deleting the last 6 months old indices but I have noticed that indices are recreated on the elastic search. Can you correct me where i'm doing wrong I went with the default configuration. Thanks

paths:
    #- /var/log/*.log
    - \\webserver10\iislogs\*.log

output.logstash:
  # Boolean flag to enable or disable the output module.
  #enabled: true

# The Logstash hosts
  hosts: ["localhost:5044"]

# Number of workers per Logstash host.
  #worker: 1

(Tag V) #2

filebeat is only a log shipper. it wont handle index creations. check logstash conf if logstash output elasticsearch contains that index names.

Here is the output config for logstash.

output {
	elasticsearch {
		"hosts" => ["elasticsearch:80"]
		"index" => "iis_logs-%{+YYYY.MM}"
		"document_type" => "iislog"
	}	
}

(Tag V) #4

seems filebeat still reading logs from the path sending to logstash. and logstash reading logs and pushing them to index iis_logs-* . make sure no filebeat is sending logs to logstash.

I notice from the filebeats registry that filebeats is re-reading the old untouched log files and shipping it to logstash. Is there any config setting which stop filebeats in re-reading the logs or stop shipping old log files to logstash?

(Tag V) #6

ignore_older: 3h
This you can use to ignore older files. Moreover you can change your registry file if you are sure filebeat pushing logs from old registry with:

registry_file: 'C:\ProgramData\Filebeat\registry'  (if windows)
registry_file: '/var/registrydata/filebeat/registry' (if linux)

Sorry what do you want me to change in the registry file in windows?
Thanks for your response.

(Tag V) #8

Ya try changing registry file path with your respective OS. and use ignore_older as well.

(system) #9

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.