Following just regular installer instructions: Error: Could not find or load main class org.jruby.Main

Kierens-MBP:bin kieren$ ./logstash --?

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: Option UseParNewGC was deprecated in version 9.0 and will likely be removed in a future release.
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: Option UseConcMarkSweepGC was deprecated in version 9.0 and will likely be removed in a future release.
Error: Could not find or load main class org.jruby.Main
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.jruby.Main

My pwd doesn't contain any colon. I literally just downloaded and unzipped the latest logstash, installed the JDK as requested, and tried to run an example.

I'm following https://www.elastic.co/blog/getting-started-with-hosted-elasticsearch-v5-and-a-sample-dataset, which clearly a bit dodgy since the git repo it says to use the conf from indicated that's a legacy conf.

But I'm not getting that far. Why won't a clean install of logstash run at all, please?

Ok, some more digging, the install pages say Java 9 is not supported.

Why then does invoking Logstash and clicking "More info" take me to a page with a big fat Java 9 download button?

Update: Java 8 fails in the same way.

Update.. 'unzip logstash-whatever.zip' on the commandline didn't work, however if I extract the zip using OS X / Finder it's fine.

I say fine, I then get:

[FATAL] 2018-01-07 21:10:32.722 [main] runner - An unexpected error occurred! {:error=>#<URI::InvalidURIError: bad URI(is not URI?): file:///Users/kieren/downloads/logstash-6.1.1 2/config/log4j2.properties>, :backtrace=>["/Users/kieren/Downloads/logstash-6.1.1 2/vendor/jruby/lib/ruby/stdlib/uri/rfc3986_parser.rb:67:in split'", "/Users/kieren/Downloads/logstash-6.1.1 2/vendor/jruby/lib/ruby/stdlib/uri/rfc3986_parser.rb:73:inparse'", "/Users/kieren/Downloads/logstash-6.1.1 2/vendor/jruby/lib/ruby/stdlib/uri/rfc3986_parser.rb:117:in convert_to_uri'", "/Users/kieren/Downloads/logstash-6.1.1 2/vendor/jruby/lib/ruby/stdlib/uri/rfc3986_parser.rb:88:injoin'", "/Users/kieren/Downloads/logstash-6.1.1 2/vendor/jruby/lib/ruby/stdlib/uri/common.rb:265:in join'", "/Users/kieren/downloads/logstash-6.1.1 2/logstash-core/lib/logstash/runner.rb:234:inexecute'", "/Users/kieren/downloads/logstash-6.1.1 2/vendor/bundle/jruby/2.3.0/gems/clamp-0.6.5/lib/clamp/command.rb:67:in run'", "/Users/kieren/downloads/logstash-6.1.1 2/logstash-core/lib/logstash/runner.rb:214:inrun'", "/Users/kieren/downloads/logstash-6.1.1 2/vendor/bundle/jruby/2.3.0/gems/clamp-0.6.5/lib/clamp/command.rb:132:in run'", "/Users/kieren/downloads/logstash-6.1.1 2/lib/bootstrap/environment.rb:67:in'"]}

Any tips at all?

Is this - https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41391781/logstash-5-1-1-bad-uriis-not-uri - the answer?

Seriously, how frail is this thing? Why doesn't the install guide mention this, yet it mentions colons?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.