Following just regular installer instructions: Error: Could not find or load main class org.jruby.Main

(Kieren Johnstone) #1

Kierens-MBP:bin kieren$ ./logstash --?

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: Option UseParNewGC was deprecated in version 9.0 and will likely be removed in a future release.
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: Option UseConcMarkSweepGC was deprecated in version 9.0 and will likely be removed in a future release.
Error: Could not find or load main class org.jruby.Main
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.jruby.Main

My pwd doesn't contain any colon. I literally just downloaded and unzipped the latest logstash, installed the JDK as requested, and tried to run an example.

I'm following https://www.elastic.co/blog/getting-started-with-hosted-elasticsearch-v5-and-a-sample-dataset, which clearly a bit dodgy since the git repo it says to use the conf from indicated that's a legacy conf.

But I'm not getting that far. Why won't a clean install of logstash run at all, please?

(Kieren Johnstone) #2

Ok, some more digging, the install pages say Java 9 is not supported.

Why then does invoking Logstash and clicking "More info" take me to a page with a big fat Java 9 download button?

(Kieren Johnstone) #3

Update: Java 8 fails in the same way.

(Kieren Johnstone) #4

Update.. 'unzip logstash-whatever.zip' on the commandline didn't work, however if I extract the zip using OS X / Finder it's fine.

I say fine, I then get:

[FATAL] 2018-01-07 21:10:32.722 [main] runner - An unexpected error occurred! {:error=>#<URI::InvalidURIError: bad URI(is not URI?): file:///Users/kieren/downloads/logstash-6.1.1 2/config/log4j2.properties>, :backtrace=>["/Users/kieren/Downloads/logstash-6.1.1 2/vendor/jruby/lib/ruby/stdlib/uri/rfc3986_parser.rb:67:in split'", "/Users/kieren/Downloads/logstash-6.1.1 2/vendor/jruby/lib/ruby/stdlib/uri/rfc3986_parser.rb:73:inparse'", "/Users/kieren/Downloads/logstash-6.1.1 2/vendor/jruby/lib/ruby/stdlib/uri/rfc3986_parser.rb:117:in convert_to_uri'", "/Users/kieren/Downloads/logstash-6.1.1 2/vendor/jruby/lib/ruby/stdlib/uri/rfc3986_parser.rb:88:injoin'", "/Users/kieren/Downloads/logstash-6.1.1 2/vendor/jruby/lib/ruby/stdlib/uri/common.rb:265:in join'", "/Users/kieren/downloads/logstash-6.1.1 2/logstash-core/lib/logstash/runner.rb:234:inexecute'", "/Users/kieren/downloads/logstash-6.1.1 2/vendor/bundle/jruby/2.3.0/gems/clamp-0.6.5/lib/clamp/command.rb:67:in run'", "/Users/kieren/downloads/logstash-6.1.1 2/logstash-core/lib/logstash/runner.rb:214:inrun'", "/Users/kieren/downloads/logstash-6.1.1 2/vendor/bundle/jruby/2.3.0/gems/clamp-0.6.5/lib/clamp/command.rb:132:in run'", "/Users/kieren/downloads/logstash-6.1.1 2/lib/bootstrap/environment.rb:67:in'"]}

Any tips at all?

(Kieren Johnstone) #5

Is this - https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41391781/logstash-5-1-1-bad-uriis-not-uri - the answer?

Seriously, how frail is this thing? Why doesn't the install guide mention this, yet it mentions colons?

(system) #6

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.