Formatting strings using scripted fields - inserting line breaks

My 'message' contains a stacktrace / exception error like below.
But the string is not easy to read in Kibana. I need to insert new lines on each trace line.. so it's neat and tidy etc..
I've read that I can use scripted fields to achieve this, and the painless would look like this?

doc['message'].value = "\n" + "
"

But the script does not work. How can I replace \n in the strack trace so my messages are on new lines in Kibana?

[2018-06-07 11:02:33] testing.ERROR: Class 'App\Http\Controllers\Deal' not found {"exception":"[object] (Symfony\Component\Debug\Exception\FatalThrowableError(code: 0): Class 'App\Http\Controllers\Deal' not found at /app/Http/Controllers/TestingSyslogController.php:13)\n[stacktrace]\n#0 [internal function]: App\Http\Controllers\TestingSyslogController->index()\n#1 /vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Routing/Controller.php(54): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)\n#2 /vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Routing/ControllerDispatcher.php(45): Illuminate\Routing\Controller->callAction('index', Array)\n#3 /vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Routing/Route.php(212): Illuminate\Routing\ControllerDispatcher->dispatch(Object(Illuminate\Routing\Route), Object(App\Http\Controllers\TestingSyslogController), 'index')\n#4 /vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Routing/Route.php(169): Illuminate\Routing\Route->runController()\n#5

(kulkarni) #2

You can write a formatter function that truncated the line or splits it with a line-break (using HTML
tag).(https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/kibana/current/scripted-fields.html )( available 5.0 and above)

CHeers
Rashmi

I'll convert this inline script to scripted fields I guess

https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/x-pack/5.5/ml-configuring-transform.html#ml-configuring-transform6

Amazed there are no working examples of stack trace handling in kibana. I tried logstash & grok filtering already.... was hoping this scripted fields might offer a good alternative.

I might just write a custom log in json format and send it directly to logstash.

(kulkarni) #4

You need to parse that at index time itself. Scripted field will get you there, and is the only option if it's already indexed, but not a prob for Kibana to solve, the workflow for that is done pre-kibana.

Cheers
Rashmi

I've tried scripted fields, I've used lang=painless, type=string, format=string,
script=/\n/.matcher(doc['message'].value).replaceAll('
')

but then I receive this error
"Courier Fetch: 10 of 715 shards failed.

The script might be written wrong...

I've tried

1. doc['message'].value = "\n" + "

2. /\n/.matcher(doc['message'].value).replaceAll('
    ')

Wondering how I can debug or test a scripted field......

(system) #6

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.