FreeBSD metricbeat error cannot find matching process for pid

I'm trying to run the version of metricbeat from the FreeBSD packages. It's currently version 6.7.1.
I've had a few issues with it due to files being in different places (modules.d, modules).
I've now got it recognizing the modules with the modules list command and it seems to be sending some information into elasticsearch.
The problem I have is that it keeps reporting errors like

ERROR instance/metrics.go:91 Error while getting memory usage: error retrieving process stats: cannot find matching process for pid=57998
ERROR instance/metrics.go:135 Error retrieving CPU percentages: error retrieving process stats: cannot find matching process for pid=57998
ERROR instance/metrics_file_descriptors.go:39 Error while retrieving FD information: error retrieving process stats: cannot find matching process for pid=57998

The pid it's failing on is for the metricbeat process itself but it doesn't seem to be recording cpu metrics at all. Network metrics do seem to be coming through OK.
I'm currently just running the command from the command line as root so I assume it's not a permissions problem?

Hi @Mikedm :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, we don't actively test our metricbeat on FreeBSD so errors like the one you are describing (specially on the system module) are somehow expected.

Those errors are all about fetching data of the beat itself: resident memory, CPU usage and file descriptors. From what I can see in our code, it's expected to work.

I don't know much about FreeBSD but it looks like something specific of the OS. Maybe permissions, execution or both.

Sorry if I can't help more

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.