Geoip's dotted fields and ES2.0

(Rene) #1

In the Logstash 2.0.0-rc1 released blog article I read:

"Elasticsearch does not allow field names to have dots, beginning with version 2.0".

So how about geoip? It adds dotted fields by default. I can imagine the plugin will have an update to create other kinds of fields, but how about the fields that are already indexed?

(Aaron Mildenstein) #2

It does? It does nested fields in the current release, using the "target" field name as the parent field.

# Specify the field into which Logstash should store the geoip data.
  # This can be useful, for example, if you have `src\_ip` and `dst\_ip` fields and
  # would like the GeoIP information of both IPs.
  #
  # If you save the data to a target field other than `geoip` and want to use the
  # `geo\_point` related functions in Elasticsearch, you need to alter the template
  # provided with the Elasticsearch output and configure the output to use the
  # new template.
  #
  # Even if you don't use the `geo\_point` mapping, the `[target][location]` field
  # is still valid GeoJSON.
  config :target, :validate => :string, :default => 'geoip'

When I look at the fields available, none have dots:

# An array of geoip fields to be included in the event.
  #
  # Possible fields depend on the database type. By default, all geoip fields
  # are included in the event.
  #
  # For the built-in GeoLiteCity database, the following are available:
  # `city_name`, `continent_code`, `country_code2`, `country_code3`, `country_name`,
  # `dma_code`, `ip`, `latitude`, `longitude`, `postal_code`, `region_name` and `timezone`.
  config :fields, :validate => :array

(Rene) #3

Oh are those nested fields? Sorry, I don't work that long with ELK, so I have to get into it and get used to the terminology. I thought because it looks like this:

geoip.city_name Mountain View
geoip.continent_code NA
geoip.coordinates -122.057, 37.419
geoip.country_code2 US
geoip.country_code3 USA
geoip.country_name United States

because of the dots, it's a dotted field. I had no clue it were nested fields. Never too old to learn :slight_smile: Thanks for the clarification! (and it's a relief also, I was afraid I had to rename fields and rebuild indexes....)

(system) #4