Getting exception - EngineCreationFailureException

Hi

I am getting below exceptions repeatedly which is generating multi GBs of log files, and the disk get out of space very quickly.

Caused by: [logstash-2016.09.24][[logstash-2016.09.24][4]] EngineCreationFailureException[failed to create engine]; nested: NoSuchFileException[/focom/22000/db/ELASTICSEARCH/nodes/0/indices/logstash-2016.09.24/4/translog/translog-6.ckp];
	at org.elasticsearch.index.engine.InternalEngine.<init>(InternalEngine.java:155)
	at org.elasticsearch.index.engine.InternalEngineFactory.newReadWriteEngine(InternalEngineFactory.java:25)
	at org.elasticsearch.index.shard.IndexShard.newEngine(IndexShard.java:1515)
	at org.elasticsearch.index.shard.IndexShard.createNewEngine(IndexShard.java:1499)
	at org.elasticsearch.index.shard.IndexShard.internalPerformTranslogRecovery(IndexShard.java:972)
	at org.elasticsearch.index.shard.IndexShard.performTranslogRecovery(IndexShard.java:944)
	at org.elasticsearch.index.shard.StoreRecoveryService.recoverFromStore(StoreRecoveryService.java:241)
	... 5 more
Caused by: java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /focom/22000/db/ELASTICSEARCH/nodes/0/indices/logstash-2016.09.24/4/translog/translog-6.ckp
	at sun.nio.fs.UnixException.translateToIOException(UnixException.java:86)
	at sun.nio.fs.UnixException.rethrowAsIOException(UnixException.java:102)
	at sun.nio.fs.UnixException.rethrowAsIOException(UnixException.java:107)
	at sun.nio.fs.UnixFileSystemProvider.newByteChannel(UnixFileSystemProvider.java:214)
	at java.nio.file.Files.newByteChannel(Files.java:361)
	at java.nio.file.Files.newByteChannel(Files.java:407)
	at java.nio.file.spi.FileSystemProvider.newInputStream(FileSystemProvider.java:384)
	at java.nio.file.Files.newInputStream(Files.java:152)
	at org.elasticsearch.index.translog.Checkpoint.read(Checkpoint.java:82)
	at org.elasticsearch.index.translog.Translog.recoverFromFiles(Translog.java:330)
	at org.elasticsearch.index.translog.Translog.<init>(Translog.java:179)
	at org.elasticsearch.index.engine.InternalEngine.openTranslog(InternalEngine.java:208)
	at org.elasticsearch.index.engine.InternalEngine.<init>(InternalEngine.java:151)
	... 11 more

Below is the cluster health:

{
"cluster_name": "TEST",
"status": "red",
"timed_out": false,
"number_of_nodes": 1,
"number_of_data_nodes": 1,
"active_primary_shards": 1691,
"active_shards": 1691,
"relocating_shards": 0,
"initializing_shards": 2,
"unassigned_shards": 1709,
"delayed_unassigned_shards": 0,
"number_of_pending_tasks": 10,
"number_of_in_flight_fetch": 0,
"task_max_waiting_in_queue_millis": 2169,
"active_shards_percent_as_number": 49.706055261610814
}

In the index list (_cat/indices), I have seen couple of indices were in RED status.
I am not sure what is the reason behind these repeated logs and how to fix it.
Please help.

ES version - 2.3.2

there are several bugs related to this in the 2.x series. I'd recommend to upgrade to 2.4.latest and see if it can recover. If not please report back.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.