Grok DATA as MONTH-NUMBER

Hi All,
i have two date types:
"2020-02-12 09:37:19,334" and "2020Feb07-10:42:22", I'd like to import a unique format into kibana.

Currently I worked on the second one, using grok I was able to read "2020Feb07-10:42:22" with:
%{YEAR}%{DATA}%{MONTHDAY}-%{TIME}

The problem is that I'd like to read "%{DATA}" as "%{MONTH}, but if I use MONTH grok doesn't see Feb as the second Month.
Please help.

Hi Luigi,

I don't know if you can make a mapping month_in_letters -> month_as_num directly in the Grok filter. Though, if you want to make the second date type similar to the first one, you can always use a ruby filter to assemble it and then remove the useless fields with a remove_field filter. Supposing your grok is %{YEAR:year}%{DATA:month}%{MONTHDAY:day}-%{TIME:time}, then you can make a filter similar to the following:

ruby {
  code => "
    year = event.get('year')
    month = event.get('month')[0..2].capitalize 
    day = event.get('day')
    time = event.get('time')
    month_to_num = { 'Jan': '01', 'Feb':'02', 'Mar':'03', 'Apr':'04', 'May':'05', 'Jun':'06', 'Jul':'07', 'Aug':'08', 'Sep': '09', 'Oct':'10', 'Nov':'11', 'Dec':'12' }    

unless [year, month, date, time].include? nil
      new_date = year + '-' + month_to_num[month] + '-' + day + ' ' + time
      event.set('new_timestamp', new_date)
    end
  "

mutate {
    remove_field => ["year", "month", "day", "time"]
  }
}

It's not the most elegant way but it should fit your needs :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.