HA Elastic Stack, should I use a load balancer?

I'm building up the architecture for our Elastic Stack. We'll be ingesting tons of log data, so I'm opting for 3 dedicated master nodes and 6 dedicated data nodes.

I'm going to be using Logstash for the log ingestion and filtering, and Kibana for viewing.

My question is, should I put a load balancer in front of the 3 master nodes? Both Logstash and Kibana configurations will need an elasticsearch host address, given that I have 3 different addresses it makes sense to load balance. I'm seeing many resources online suggesting that a load balancer is unnecessary, but in the case where we can only hardcode a single access there isn't another way. Am I correct?

Furthermore, would I connect Kibana to my master node or does it need to be connected to a data node?

EDIT: I should also note that I have a 1 master, and 2 data nodes per Availability Zone.

If you are setting up dedicated master nodes then don't point anything at them.
The LB should point to the data nodes.

1 Like

Not sure I understand that at all...

So both logstash and kibana will point to a load balancer that's pointing to the data nodes. What are the master nodes providing me with then?

Cluster availability and redundancy.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.