Hardware configuration - tips

(Arvid De Jong) #1

Hello all!

I'm new to this forum, and rather new to Elasticsearch. I've been playing around a little bit with the ELK-stack on virtual machines. Now however, I would like to know what it takes to get it in a production environment (hardware wise).

I receive around 300 MB of log files with peaks of 1 GB a day. From around 250 servers. Any suggestions about memory, how many cores, nodes and maybe other tips? And why I should use that amount of memory or cores etc.

Any tips would be appreciated!

With kind regards,

Arvid de Jong

(Niraj Kumar) #2

Hi @Arvid_de_Jong,

The amount of data you have seems to be a small one with decent peaks. What i would recommend you is, go for a cluster system with 3 nodes for ES , 2 for Logstash and 2 for web tiers. The idea behind web tiers is to protect your ES behind a reverse proxy and same for 3 node ES cluster is to have a master-slave replica. For the hardware wise use the following:

1. 2 CPU , 8 GB RAM, 500 GB ---> For ES
  2. 1 CPU , 2 GB RAM 100 GB -----> For Web tier
  3. 2 CPU, 4 GB RAM 100 GB -------> For Logstash

I hope i answered your need. Let us know if you want more info, on it.

Regards
Niraj

(Mark Walkom) #3

LS doesn't need much disk space, but it likes CPU.
Dunno why you'd want 100GB for a web front end either really.

(Arvid De Jong) #4

Hi Niraj_Kumar!

First of all, thanks allot for your help. Although i have another question, why do you think I should use 8 GB instead of 16, 32 or like Elasticsearch recomends, 64 GB of memory?

Thanks in advance!

Greetings,

Arvid de Jong

(Mark Walkom) #5

We don't recommend, the only recommendation we make is 30.5GB or less for heap.

Otherwise it's up to you!

(luuk) #6

hey!

Im running a similar environment (more or less),
@niraj_kumar would you recommend the same if availability is not an issue?

Regards
Luuk

(Niraj Kumar) #7

@Arvid_de_Jong The reason i recommended the memory to 8GB was due to amount of data you receive. Obviously there is no harm is using additional memory, but to make it cost effective i recommend that. If you are in a cloud environment like AWS you can increase the memory and CPU's on fly. You can always give it a shot to a lesser memory and experience the latency and then increase it there after. Hope i was clear.

(Niraj Kumar) #8

The reason i suggested 100GB is for web tier is because of the massive log generation by apache/nginx and in case you want to store previous logs considering it as a production server. It can definitely be down sized and i agree to it. I made it this way because that would remove any disk space usage.

(Niraj Kumar) #9

@luuk Kind of i recommend the same but we can downsize the logstash to one and reducing a node from ES too. But anyways it depends on what infrastructure you have and what you are trying to achieve with the ELK stack.

(Arvid De Jong) #10

Thanks allot! I will try this setup and will work from there! :smile:

(system) #11