Hardware requirements for Elasticsearch 6.3.1

I'm new to elasticsearch and I've installed the .tar.gz package on a Rhel7.5 instance on Amazon Web Services with a RAM of 1GB and volume of 10GB but when I run it with this command "./bin/elasticsearch" I get this error:

`Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: INFO: os::commit_memory(0x00000000c5330000, 986513408, 0) failed; error='Cannot allocate memory' (errno=12)

There is insufficient memory for the Java Runtime Environment to continue.

Native memory allocation (mmap) failed to map 986513408 bytes for committing reserved memory.

An error report file with more information is saved as:

logs/hs_err_pid29069.log`

What could be the problem? Please assist.

Elasticsearch by default deploys with a 1GB heap, which you do not have enough RAM for. You either need to get a larger host or reduce the heap size in the jvm.options file.

What size do I reduce the heap size to considering my hardware specs?

Probably to 512MB, assuming Elasticsearch is the only thing running on the node.

I'm running the LAMP stack too, will that affect performance negatively?

Yes, I sound very little RAM for running Elasticsearch as well as other components. You may be able to go lower that 512MB, but I have no experience running Elasticsearch with such small heap.

Thank you Christian. You really have been of a lot of help.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.