Harvester not started for new files in configured paths

Hello,

I have a problem I've verified in filebeat 6.8.3, 7.5.1, and 7.16.3

I have a filebeat.yml filebeat.inputs, type log, with three configured paths with ** in the middle portions, something like

- /var/log/a/b/**/ONE
  - /var/log/a/b/**/TWO
  - /var/log/a/b/**/THREE

and on filebeat startup, in a situation where multiple files pre-exist, e.g. for the "**" portion above, I have C/D, C/E, C/F, e.g.

/var/log/a/b/C/D/ONE
/var/log/a/b/C/D/TWO
/var/log/a/b/C/D/THREE
/var/log/a/b/C/E/ONE
/var/log/a/b/C/E/TWO
/var/log/a/b/C/E/THREE
/var/log/a/b/C/F/ONE
/var/log/a/b/C/F/TWO
/var/log/a/b/C/F/THREE

filebeat will establish an input_id for it and start harvesters for all present files.

However, any NEW files that appear after startup (e.g. a new intermediary directory C/G with its own files ONE TWO THREE) will rarely have a harvester started up for it. Occasionally a single harvester will start up for a single file but this is very rare.

If no files exist on startup that match the input_id's configured paths, then filebeat will properly notice the three files appearing and start harvesters for this.

The above behavior confirmed both via filebeat -d 'input' and lsof on the process.

My read of the documentation and previous discussions (e.g. Filebeats not harvesting new file - #2 by pierhugues) suggest that filebeat should always find and harvest new files that match the configured paths.

I've tried modifying scan_frequency to no effect.

I'd appreciate any ideas to debug/solve, or confirmation to file a github issue.

Thank you.

Restarting filebeat results in harvesters started to collect all files present (incl ones missed by previous process).

No change with symlinks:true (where /var/log -> /mnt/var/log on my system).

On 7.16.3, splitting into three separate inputs with one configured path each increases the probability that a harvester will start, but it will not get all new files. IIRC, splitting into separate inputs on 7.5.1 does not improve the situation.

Anybody have any ideas?
I realize this works for most people; for me in some environments it seems to work reliably but in others never.

Did you find any solution for this problem

no solution found yet

no solution found yet

no solution found yet

no solution found yet

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.