Filebeat does not harvest files after a restart

I have configured filebeat to read files from a log directory.

Any time I change a configuration in filebeat.yml file and restart filebeat, it stops harvesting files.

If I restart after deleting the registry, everything works fine. I am not sure if it is a bug within filebeat that it requires me to delete the registry every time I change something in the configuration.

Use case:
I'm trying to add a new log directory with a new field in my filebeat configuration as follows:

filebeat.inputs:
- type: log
  enabled: true
  paths:
    - "/mylogs/something*"
    - "/mylogs/otherthing*"

ignore_older: 5m
  scan_frequency: 20s
  fields:
    type: other
  fields_under_root: true
  multiline.pattern: '^[[:space:]]+(at|\.{3})\b|^Caused by:|^[[:space:]]{2}\"|^}'
  multiline.negate: false
  multiline.match: after
# This is the configuration that I added to filebeat before restarting it.
- type: log
  enabled: true
  paths:
    - "/mylogs/newtype*"
  ignore_older: 5m
  fields:
    type: newtype
  fields_under_root: true
  multiline.pattern: '^[[:space:]]+(at|\.{3})\b|^Caused by:|^[[:space:]]{2}\"|^}'
  multiline.negate: false
  multiline.match: after

Let me know if any more details are required.

Filebeat remembers the last processed offsets in a file. It does not send already processed contents when the configuration changed.

Thank you for your reply. I agree that filebeat does that, but as soon as I change anything on my configuration file and restart filebeat, it does not send any data to logstash unless I delete the registry. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong but it has been happening for the last couple of weeks.

What kind of changes have you done? Can you share the exact config files before and after change?

When filebeat doesn't send it would be helpful to have a look at debug logs from filebeat.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.