Heartbeat Indices not getting cleaned up

Heartbeat seems to be creating endless heartbeat-6.5.4-yyyy.MM.dd indices and not cleaning them up.

1. How can we define when such indices can be deleted? Metricbeat, APM and other modules seem to do this
  2. How exactly can we define less granular (e.g. monthly) index templates? I've never mastered the idea of setup.template.name and setup.template.pattern in ES...

@cawoodm APM and metricbeat do not do any automatic cleanup. Are you perhaps perhaps using curator or something similar to do that?

If you want indexes organized by something other than the default pattern it's not the template pattern you need to change (necessarily), but rather the output.elasticsearch.index setting. That's documented on this page.

We have, BTW, documented curator here: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/apm/server/current/reduce-storage.html#delete-data-periodically

In 7.x we'll support index lifecycle management which may obviate the need for curator in your case.

OK, that's a bummer. We don't have curator and I like to keep my indices in check.
Looks like v7 will help our case.
Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.