Histogram in Kibana

I am trying to replicate the histogram visualization type in kibana using the plugin new visualization type functionality. I used VisFactory's createVislibVisualization. The visualization is not rendered. I encounter the following problem
TypeError: Cannot read property 'splitColumn' of undefined. How can I overcome this error?

Can you please post your whole error log?

Thanks,
Bhavya

I am using Kibana version 7.1.1. The following is the browser console message.

Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: Cannot read property 'splitColumn' of undefined
at legacy.js:42
at new Promise (<anonymous>)
at handler (legacy.js:39)
at vislib.js:73
at new Promise (<anonymous>)
at VisualizeDataLoader.responseHandler (vislib.js:72)
at VisualizeDataLoader.<anonymous> (visualize_data_loader.ts:68)
at step (tslib.js:129)
at Object.eval [as next] (tslib.js:110)
at fulfilled (tslib.js:100)

@Aravinda_Kolla I'm not too familiar with the legacy plugin but just looking at the error message, it seems that the responseHandler is expecting a dimensions object, here :point_down: .

The shape of the dimensions looks something like that of the kibana_datatable vis, for example...

{
  "x": null,
  "y": [
    {
      "accessor": 0,
      "format": {
        "id": "number"
      },
      "params": {},
      "label": "Total Delays",
      "aggType": "count"
    }
  ]
}

You may just need to decorate the Vis object with dimensions using getVisParams helper method

If you could post more source code it would be easier to assist you further.

1 Like

@nickofthyme I replicated the code on github kibana tagv7.1.1. The index.js looks as follows:

export default function (kibana) {

return new kibana.Plugin({
    uiExports: {
      visTypes: [
        'plugins/hist_vis/hist_vis'
      ]
    }
  });
}

Copy pasted the code from the following link with no modifications in hist_vis.js.

https://github.com/elastic/kibana/blob/v7.1.1/src/legacy/core_plugins/kbn_vislib_vis_types/public/histogram.js

I tried to do the same for version 7.5.1.

I get the following javascript error:

Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: Cannot read property 'find' of undefined
    at point_series.js:133
    at Array.forEach (<anonymous>)
    at point_series.js:124
    at new VisConfig (vis_config.js:45)
    at Vis.initVisConfig (vis.js:88)
    at _callee$ (controller.js:109)
    at tryCatch (runtime.js:45)
    at Generator.invoke [as _invoke] (runtime.js:271)
    at Generator.prototype.<computed> [as next] (runtime.js:97)
    at asyncGeneratorStep (controller.js:18)

The index.js is as follows:

export default function (kibana) {
  return new kibana.Plugin({
    require: ['elasticsearch'],
    name: 'hist_vis',
    uiExports: {
      visTypes: [
        'plugins/hist_vis/hist_vis'
      ],
      interpreter: [
        'plugins/hist_vis/pie_fn',
        'plugins/hist_vis/hist_vis_fn',
      ]
    },

config(Joi) {
      return Joi.object({
        enabled: Joi.boolean().default(true),
      }).default();
    },
  });
}

The hist_vis.js is same as:
https://github.com/elastic/kibana/blob/v7.5.1/src/legacy/core_plugins/kbn_vislib_vis_types/public/histogram.js .
The hist_fn.js is same as :
https://github.com/elastic/kibana/blob/v7.5.1/src/legacy/core_plugins/kbn_vislib_vis_types/public/vislib_fn.js .
The pie_fn.js is same as :
https://github.com/elastic/kibana/blob/v7.5.1/src/legacy/core_plugins/kbn_vislib_vis_types/public/pie_fn.js .
the controller is same as :
https://github.com/elastic/kibana/blob/v7.5.1/src/legacy/core_plugins/kbn_vislib_vis_types/public/controller.js

@Aravinda_Kolla sorry for the delay. It took me a bit to fully understand your question and figure out the code involved.

From what I understand, you just want to replicate the current histogram visualization. In coping all the files you mentioned below and attempting to create my own plugin/visualization under legacy/core_plugins/hist_vis I did encounter the same error as you with the find of undefined.

The problem is that it is never calling the fn method on the hist_fn.js which does the response handling, this guy :point_down: .

This is because hist_vis is not a vislibCharts type which are defined here :point_down:.

Adding hist_vis to this array renders the replicated visualization as expected. This is sort of complex because the kbn_vislib_vis_types plugin handles several visualizations that have shared logic.

Note: This area of code is very volatile right now as we are internally migrating all our existing plugins, including visualizations, to a new platform. See here if interested in more details.

Sorry, I can't give more context than this. I'm not too familiar with how this would work as a third-party plugin having replicated the kbn_vislib_vis_types logic. If that is your end intent, you might have more issues. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

@nickofthyme Thank you for your elaborate reply. So if I want to replicate what the kbn_vislib_vis_types histogram does, as a third party plugin, do I have to write custom request and response handlers ?

@Aravinda_Kolla yup, that's exactly right.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.