Host.os is missing in generated template when host is expected in a custom schema using ECS Tooling 1.6 and 1.7

Hi, I am using ECS Tooling (1.6 and 1.7) to generate template, adding "host" to a custom schema "Link". Added host.yml as following. In the resulted template.json, while host.geo exists, host.os is missing.

After I changed os.yml file (in buildin "schemas" dir) name to be o.yml, or bo.yml, host.os presents in template.

This happens for both 1.6 and 1.7.

host.yml (in custom-schema dir)

• name: host
    title: Host
    type: group
    reusable:
    top_level: true
    expected:
    - Link

=========
Link.yml (in custom-schema dir)

• name: Link
    title: Link
    group: 2
    description: >
    Link....

fields:

• name: Name
      level: custom
      type: keyword
      required: true
      A distinguishable name for the link.
      example: Frame Relay Cloud_1141289207

• name: Protocol
      level: custom
      type: keyword
      The type of link represented.
      example: ethernet

I also tested changing geo.yml to o.yml, geo will be missing.

Is this config error in my part of something in the Tool?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Welcome to the community @mxu!

I was able to replicate your issue. This issue is happening because Link.* is reusing host.* at the same phase in which host.* is populating its reuses. When Link nests hosts, hosts hasn't had all its reuses added yet. I'm continuing to dig into this a bit further.

As a workaround, you can add the reusable.order attribute to your custom host.yml definitions and set it to 3:

---
- name: host
  title: Host
  reusable:
    order: 3
    top_level: true
    expected:
    - Link

The default value is 2, and using 3 will ensure that nestings expected Link will come after the host.* nestings.

Thank you, Eric. I will try reusable: order: 3.
It seems related to the alphabetical order of schema file names . geo.yml is before host.yml, it does not have this problem. After changing os.yml to _os.yml or bs.yml (whatever before host), it would work fine.
Thanks again!

Eric, After adding order: 3, the template was generated correctly. Thanks for your help.
It may be worthy to add that to README?
And please note that "geo" was correctly added to Link....host without "order: 3"

Thanks, @mxu!

You're correct about the alphabetical ordering; each group is sorted alphabetically while the reuses are populated.

I've opened an issue to document reusable.order and note its usage in this type of situation, and I'll open a PR to address.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.