How can convert field to int, float

Hello,

I'm starting to use ELK, but I have a problem to convert fields... always, all the fields types are string.

Here an example of log line:

2016-05-10 19:44:37 123 12 199

and here logstash config file:

input { file { type => "platform" path => "/home/vagrant/platform.log" start_position => beginning } } filter { if [type]=="platform" { grok { match => [ "message", "%{TIMESTAMP_ISO8601:timestamp} %{NUMBER:id:int} %{NUMBER:platform_type:int} %{NUMBER:value:int}"] } mutate { convert => { "value" => "integer" "platform_type" => "integer" "id" => "integer" } } } } output { elasticsearch { hosts => ["localhost:9200"] index => "platform-%{+YYYY-MM-dd}" } }

and when I test it, using

curl -XGET 'http://localhost:9200/platfrom-*'

return

{"platfrom-2016-05-10":{"aliases":{},"mappings":{"platfrom":{"properties":{"@timestamp":{"type":"date","format":"strict_date_optional_time||epoch_millis"},"@version":{"type":"string"},"host":{"type":"string"},"id":{"type":"string"},"message":{"type":"string"},"path":{"type":"string"},"platfrom_type":{"type":"string"},"timestamp":{"type":"string"},"type":{"type":"string"},"value":{"type":"string"}}}},"settings":{"index":{"creation_date":"1462902506058","number_of_shards":"5","number_of_replicas":"1","uuid":"qs60O-FRSzO5rGv2E0nEzQ","version":{"created":"2030299"}}},"warmers":{}}}

All fields are strings...

I don't know what I am doing bad, can anyone help me?

Thanks

Ideally, you should be setting this in ES as well via a mapping or a template.

To me, your logstash configuration is nice.
And normally, you have not to add "mutate" filter, since in grok filter, you already convert fields to int using :int.

To be sure that your conversion is correct, you can add this output :

output {
  stdout { codec => rubydebug }
}

If it is correct, you see id => 1
If it is not correct, you see id => "1"

That said, you have to know that elasticsearch index defines its mapping using first document.
So I invite you to :

• drop index, put a document using logstash, and verify that new index has good mapping
  • check that there is nothing elsewhere (in your logstash pipeline or elsewhere) that create documents with int fields as a string.

its not working for me too i used both types of config (i.e) {number:num:int} and mutate any suggestions or ideas .pls..

Did you try the following output configuration to check that Logstash does the conversion right ?
Because maybe your problem is not Logstash conversion but elasticsearch mapping.

Please start your own thread, this one is super old.

how to do that? im new to it can you help me??