How can i do Elastic Search on Encrypted data

Hi team,

I am new to elastic search. I am having one application where all of my data stored in encrypted form. I need to do elastic search on this encrypted data.

Is it possible i can achieve ES on encrypted data ?

I mean to say first creating index of these encrypted files (pdf or other supported files ...) using ingest attachment plugin. then user can perform search operation on these index. in search operation user will just enter non encrypted string.

Thanks,

Regards,
Gaurav

If you want to search on the encrypted values, yes. If you want to search on the actual values then you need to decrypt them first.

Elasticsearch cannot decrypt things on the fly.

@warkolm

Thanks for your reply.

I just want to do search on encrypted values. but when i do search operation my search query is in actual value form. And if i do encryption of these search query then ES may not match these encrypted query with encrypted index's.

I actually want to do search on actual value. but my data stored in encrypted form. do you mean to say before creation of index i need to decrypt data and do indexing operation then encrypted this index. and when i do search on actual value i need to decrypt my index in memory and do search operation.

Thanks,

Regards,
Gaurav

Elasticsearch cannot work on encrypted data.

@warkolm

Thanks for your feedback.

I see it can not work on encrypted data. Is there any way i can do encryption on these index.

Thanks,

Regards,
Gaurav

You can do filesystem level encryption.

@warkolm
Thank you very much for your feedback and answer. I was thinking someother ways apart from filesystem level encryption. I thought ES can provide this facility itself.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.