How do you install elastic search on Windows?

restarting the CMD shell should be enough.

Not if you entered the JAVA_HOME by hand by going Computer -> Properties - Advanced System Settings -> Environment Variables. At least I don't think it should.

Agreed.

But not if you change that in user settings (which is what I'd recommend BTW).

I long time ago installed java netbeans 1.8.2 on my computer with JDK 1.8.0. What should I do, because, I cannot remove java, I only need to add it to the environmental variable.

But what is this in your link:

Progra~1

So, which one should I use here? Am getting confused!

Ah yeah you got a point there! Though I mostly run development type things like this on Ubuntu anyway. I ran it once on a Windows computer because I didn't have a Ubuntu laptop on hand but we're getting off track.

Well while David is right about the CMD bit, you can follow what I said earlier to add a environmental variable by hand and restart your pc and see how that goes.

So "Computer -> Properties - Advanced System Settings -> Environment Variables" When at Environment Variables
add under System Variables the JAVA_HOME as name and the path to your jdk which would be "C:\Java\jdk1.8.0" I assume without quotation marks.

Also regarding the Progra~1. Environmental variables do not accept spaces so Progra~1 is short for Program Files

1 Like

I have just launched my JDK to see which version it is. When I launched it, Windows tells me that I should not allow access for the following on a private or a public network:

C:\program files\java\jdk1.7.0_80\bin\jmc.exe

Which now makes me to wonder if my version actually is 1.7.0_80

Now, how should I put it together with the name I have given you for the path?

For starters open CMD (Windows Command Prompt).
When in there type the following: "java -version" and post the result here :slight_smile:

Why do I say this?

Because the version of JAVA Netbeans I installed must find JDK installed before you can install it.

Second, I must have downloaded the earlier version first before installing Netbeans 1.8.2. Perhaps there can be two versions of JDK installed in a computer, but I don't see the other one in my installation programs. So, in conclusion, what I see is probably the only thing I have!

ok, I will

OK, this is what I found:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Acer>java -version
java version "1.8.0_66"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_66-b18)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.66-b18, mixed mode)

C:\Users\Acer>

Okay! Now this concludes that you have indeed two JDK on your system. One being in "C:\program files\java\jdk1.7.0_80" and the other in "C:\Java\jdk1.8.0"

Check both these locations. Also check at the "C:\Java\jdk1.8.0" location if the folder jdk.1.8.0 is correct because usually a jdk folder ends with for example jdk.1.8.0_65 notice the _65 bit. According to your previous post that should be jdk.1.8.0_66

After you checked, we will make sure that your JAVA_HOME is correct :slight_smile:

My machine is 32 bits. So could that be the reason of 66

Actually the 66 refers to the update number of the JDK 1.8.0
I have 65 because I have yet to update to the 66 version :wink:

These are the folders I found in the Java folder

jdk1.7.0_80
jdk1.8.0_25
jre1.8.0_25
jre1.8.0_66

C:\Program Files\Java

I think we are now talking of 2 jdk versions

I will go for this one: jdk1.8.0_25

Yes! exactly. For your information, the JRE are needed to run things like YouTube video's and are not used for development like with JDK.

Well actually we are talking of 3 JDK installations. You yourself spoke of a C:\Java\jdk1.8.0
Your system found that one when using the java -version command.
We are going to use that folder for now.

Go find your Computer icon and right mouse click on it. Choose "properties". After that on your left hand you can find "Advanced System Settings".

After that, click on the button called "Environment Variables" At this point you have two boxes. One for User Variables and one for System Variables. We need the second one.

Before we go any further. Check in the 2nd box ("System Variables") if there is a JAVA_HOME in there.

There is nothing there I checked it.

Nothing in the System Variables called JAVA_HOME?